Monday, June 08, 2015

{FFWD} Never Doubt Dorie!

 As I mentioned last week we are at the end of our Around My French Table journey and we are finishing up with a few celebratory posts. Last week was AHA moments. This week is "Never Doubt Dorie" moments.

Choose the recipe that might not have been your favorite or even something you enjoyed making or even something you were skeptical about but which taught you a technique or gave you an idea or provided a lesson of some kind.

First and foremost....some ingredients are scary folks! A few recipes that I was really skeptical about included things I would not normally eat. However, I was able to get my family to eat or at least try each recipe and was able to share some of these with adventurous neighbors.

Some Never Doubt Dorie moments:
1. I learned how to prepare a delicacy that would be far more expensive in a restaurant.
2. Olives are not the devil when baked in something sweet.
3. Shellfish can be tasty.
4. The "bonne idee" sections are fantastic. Also, I love the times in the book where Dorie says trust me, it may not look like it is going to work but keep stirring, or keep going, it will come together.
5. I learned many new techniques that I never would have taken a chance on before starting this book. :)

Now, a few of the recipes that I was a little scared of that turned out pretty good:








Don't forget to check out the other Doristas Never Doubt Dorie Moments!

Next week: The Play it Again Dorie Recipe.

9 comments:

  1. That's a great list! The olive and the nori sables were NDD moments for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices, and they all look great. This was an interesting challenge and it is so much fun
    to see what other people picked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The olive sables were good -even thought it didn't seem like it should be.
    Great list@

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friends all raved about the olive sables---I had my doubts, too, while mixing those up! And there were a few times I made a quarter batch and ended up wishing I had made much, much more. Nice choices, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not made any of those recipes, looks like I got some more cooking to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES!!! I whole-heartedly agree with this -"The "bonne idee" sections are fantastic. Also, I love the times in the book where Dorie says trust me, it may not look like it is going to work but keep stirring, or keep going, it will come together" .... I love how her personality pops out of the book! great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you call olives the "devil" - I love them myself, but have friends who think the same way you do! Fun post, Karen! ~ David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, Karen! Some of this stuff was really scary, but then it turned out OK. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete