{FFWD} Favorite Recipes and AHA moments from Around My French Table


Well folks, another Dorie cookbook has come and gone. Several members of our illustrious baking group have completed all of the recipes in Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table: More than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours. It is crazy to think I started my baking journey way back in August of 2008. While I have loved cooking and baking through this book it would be an understatement to say I was inconsistent in my cooking and posting. I have some recipes cooked or baked and photographed but not posted. Ah well, maybe I will catch up at some point. Over the next four weeks we have the opportunity to share:
May 29: Celebration Week #1: The AHA Moment
June 5: Celebration Week #2: The Never-Doubt-Dorie Moment.
June 12: Celebration Week #3: The Play-It-Again-Dorie Recipe
June 19 (Le Fin): Celebration Week #4: Grand Finale

In the spirit of AHA! I share my top AHA moments:
1. You cannot use a corn cob knob to open wine
2. If my kids help prepare it they will most likely try it
3. I must look at the recipe at least 2 days ahead of time so I can have all of the ingredients on hand when it comes time to cook or bake
4. Baked items that turn out ugly still taste good
5. Sometimes you have to use a recipe as inspiration for your own creativity.
6. There are recipes you will commit to memory
7. Sometimes a recipe is exact and other times you can play around with the flavors and amounts of spices to get the recipe just right.

Now for my top 5 recipes:
I actually just made this again for dinner. :)












This has been a wonderful group to be a part of. Outside of expanding my culinary horizons the biggest and best highlight was of course meeting Dorie and several of the Doristas at the IFBC conference. Hopefully we will continue to keep in touch throughout the years. :) Now, go over the French Fridays with Dorie site and check out the top 5 recipes from fantastic cooks from around the world!

Comments

  1. Not many of us got to every single recipe and I'm firmly in that camp. But the experience has been wonderful and I look forward to more Dorie books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for your AHA #4. I'm happy to have a few AMFT that fall under #6, starting with the amazing short ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices, difficult decisions all around. This whole experience was fun, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices, Karen! I’d like to hear more about the corn cob nob to open wine! LOL! Oooo…butter and rum crepes..another favorite! Time to revise my list! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost included butter and rum crepes! I love all your favorites and aha moments. And it was terrific to meet you, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coctail nuts!!!! When we did those I was making them weekly! Now not so much. In fact i forgot about them. Aw. They didn't deserve that! Great choices Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your aha moments and great choices for your top 5. Most of us are in the "catch up" camp with the book along with you. I'll get the whole thing done eventually, as I don't want to miss on the deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen I love your aha moments. Great list and those Gougeres have made several lists so looks like I should make that next. See you next Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your post!! Such an interesting list - some I share (or will show up over the next few weeks), some I've not tried. That's what makes it fun to read what everyone has to say for themselves!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices Karen. The spicy nuts are good - I make them as Christmas pressies. I agree that ugly baked goods taste good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh I loved that French Toast- why or why have I not made it again recently LOL. Lovely post and I REALLY loved your AHA insights. Funny, honest and spot on. So fun to have met you on this adventure. Here's to the celebration weeks !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both your lists! Oh, those crepes were good! And so were the short ribs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, I totally agree with all your choices! Now I think maybe I should go back and revise my list. I especially loved the Sugar Crusted French Toast! I saw on Facebook that you took a Route 66 trip. I wish I had seen it earlier so I could have invited you to my house. When you went through Bethany on 66 you were less than a mile from where I live! I look forward to following the adventures of you and your family even after we are finished with FFwD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love your list of AHA moments! As with everyone's list, it makes me want to revisit all the recipes I'm seeing. I was so glad to meet you in Seattle, and I'll continue to enjoy your future cooking adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your list of Aha moments. I wish that I had leaned to follow #3 by now, but I'm sad to say that I am a hopeless last minute recipe reader and it has come back to bite me many, many times. And #4 has me laughing out loud:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those "AHA's" are great.
    And we never called baked goods ugly, they are "rustic" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh the cocktail peanuts are something we make for folks year-round! so tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen, wonderful AHA moments and great line-up of recipes that certainly deserve more than a second look from me.
    Liebe Grüsse,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment