{TWD: BCM} Brown Butter and Vanilla Bean Weekend Cake

Have you ever made anything with brown butter? I accidentally made brown butter once or twice when I over cooked the melted butter for mac and cheese. The first time I remember having brown butter on purpose was at My Spam and Anchovies Comfort Food night. Sara brought Brown Butter Cookie Dough Pretzel Squares. They did not last long! The next time I remember having brown butter was at my cooking club's Greekfest at Beth's house. Hmmm.. something about cooking with friends brings out the brown butter. :) Once again a dish everyone loved! When I saw brown butter in the title of this weekend cake I knew it would be delicious! The slightly nutty flavor went perfectly with the vanilla.

Speaking of vanilla...I did not have any vanilla beans on hand but had a Sahale vanilla powder sample from the IFBC conference. It was exactly what I needed for this cake.

The best part of this cake? It was easy! There is something to be said for the recipes that take time and have lots of steps but when you are hours away from heading to a New Years Eve party easy is just the ticket. I could have let this rest before baking to enhance the flavor even more but I didn't and it was wonderful. My hubster and kiddos grabbed all of the edge pieces that were left behind after I cut the cake.
My hilarious, incredibly smarty pants friend Sara and her equally hilarious, mohawked husband Travis invited us over for New Years Eve. If you ever want to talk literature Sara is your girl! She is working on her doctorate right now and is even more in love with reading than me. She even bought my sister's first novel that came out this week! My daughter is planning on reading the Cinder series so Sara encouraged her to read the original fairy tale first, which she had at home so Munchkin was able to read it that evening. Travis runs Stedicam for all kinds of awesome places! The two of them have the smartest, cutest, sassiest,  superhero loving girl you have ever seen. So you know we were in for a fun night and then the Twilight plates made an appearance and the night was complete! I mean who doesn't want to cover up Bella and Edwards faces with brown butter vanilla weekend cake with salted caramel from Seattle? ;) But wait! Our night was not complete! We had to set off fireworks! We all had so much fun setting them off! I took a few photos and we let Travis do the lighting. One shot off in an unexpected direction which made us all laugh hysterically. The kids lit sparklers and did monster pops, the people across the street watched while throwing fireworks into their fire. It was a perfectly lovely night I think the brown butter vanilla weekend cake tied it all together! Of course it could have been the company with the addition of the lovely cake. :) 

This is my first week back to Tuesdays with Dorie in a little while. I have every intention of making each of the recipes I have missed but this was a great one to jump back in on. Check out the recipe in Baking Chez Moi and check out the LYL to see how other bakers liked this cake this week!

PS. If you click the links below and order I get a small percentage of the purchase.

Comments

  1. Love that the slice was plated on a Twilight plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Browned butter. Great friends. It all sounds pretty great to me.
    I really like that picture of the kids with the fireworks :-)

    (P.S. I still have a little of that vanilla and cinnamon left from last year too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks so moist and yummy! I love the photo of the platter with all the slices…so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, this is just the sort of cake that could tie everything together! :-) Great job on the cake and story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks wonderful. I love the color and all of the vanilla flecks. I hopped over to your comfort food post and was relieved to see it wasn't really a spam and anchovies dinner! Looks like a great group and a lot of fun. Love the Mommy Juice wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun New Year's Eve. Your cake looks wonderful, we loved this recipe a lot, a definite
    repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it was a wonderful evening filled with good friends and good cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, twilight plates are hilarious! sounds like a great time, and a great cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love the powdered sugar addition and hadn't thought of it but now will likely add a dusting next time.
    It's good to know the vanilla powder worked well too, I have a bit of that left from IFBC :0)
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cake looks great, especially with the powdered sugar sprinkled all over it! And I love the fireworks photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked reading all your comments on brown butter. I have never heard of vanilla powder so I will have to look into that. I am a professed book nerd and I read 4 books a month. Looks like I need to keep up with your book blogging. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of vanilla powder before the IFBC conference either. It was great in this but I hadn't found a need for it before this recipe. I hope you will keep up with the book blogging too! :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a perfect treat to share with friends! Browned butter is one of those amazing things you can't believe you lived without, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The slices with the powdered sugar looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment