Sunday, November 09, 2014

{Blogging for Books} Eat by Nigel Slater

We have been kind of crazy lately with school, sports, church, substitute teaching, and just living life. That means I have fallen off the cooking and baking wagon completely! In full disclosure....we ate out every night last week except for the night I made something very, very easy. Dorie Greenspan's new book "Baking Chez Moi" just came out so I am about to jump back into Tuesdays with Dorie. In the meantime though I have been looking for easy recipes that I can cook fast for my family.

Enter eat by Nigel Slater:

When I pulled this out of the package the first thing I noticed was the cover of the book. It is paperback but it feels like fabric, is flexible, but it is more solid than paperback. All that to say it felt right in my hands. As I flipped through the pages I noticed the nice photos and the simple recipes. 

Typically I like to have a very organized recipe that includes a list of ingredients but these recipes seem to lend themselves to a little flexibility. 

Today I tried James's Potato Tortilla. The ingredients list included a potato, shallot, egg, and butter. It didn't say what kind of potato so I used red. I didn't have a shallot so I used a small onion. Munchkin was helping me so she seasoned the egg with salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic powder. The photo of the recipe in the book shows a golden hashbrown type item. Mine turned out gray with egg on the top. It tasted great but was not pretty. :) It was fast though and was  enough to share as a side for all of us. 

In the section of the introduction titled "Recipes" Slater talks about how the recipes are written more as "extended tweets." "The ingredients are listed next to a picture of the finished dish...so you can see, at a glance, what you will need."  You do need to read the rest of the recipe for the method. 

I am trying to be more flexible in my cooking and I think this book is exactly what I need for that. Plus, my kiddos can jump in and help out with quick recipes like these.

If you would like to find out more about Nigel Slater you can click here.

Make sure to check out Blogging for Books if you would like to get books and blog about them too! "I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

No comments:

Post a Comment