Saturday, March 22, 2014

Goodbye to Our Picture Tree

 When you enter a grove peopled with ancient trees, higher than
                                        the ordinary, and shutting out the sky with their thickly inter-twined
                                        branches, do not the stately shadows of the wood, the stillness of
                                        the place, and the awful gloom of this doomed cavern then strike
                                                             you with the presence of a deity?
                                                                                  ~ Seneca ~

When we moved into our house 12 years ago we had two silver maple trees. About 6 years into our adventure one of the trees started to have some problems and our neighbor removed the tree for us. about 5 years later we lost a huge limb from our second tree that landed on my car. A couple of years ago we lost another limb so large that Bobby couldn't lift it. The last round of storms that came through gave us enough damage that we got a new roof and I have a broken tail light and several new dents in my car due to the limbs and sticks falling from the tree. This silver maple is humongous! For the last few years I have been worried about this tree. It only goes about 10 feet before the first split so every time we had a storm we would move kids to the back of the house away from the possibility of being crushed by limbs.One of the limbs hung over the house so if the tree split it would destroy our house. Our neighbor is an arborist and really would rather maintain trees than take them out. I am with him all the way but it was time for the tree to come down.

I think I may have an unhealthy attachment to the tree that I passed on to my darling daughter. We both cried when the tree guys came to take the tree out. Once it started to come down though she and I both started to feel better about it but I (a week later) am still sad about it. But, I am also relieved. I don't have to worry about it splitting and falling in my house or limbs falling on my neighbors house or car. I don't have to be worried during storms. And, my neighbors no longer need to clean bird poo off their car every day. My other neighbors don't have to worry about moving their cars far away during storms either. Now we get to think about what to plant there in the near future!

4000 pound trunk on a flatbed truck.


The tree guys (Arbor Arts) came after another job so they ended up staying until after dark. They came the next day to clean up and grind out the stump. Before they came though we read The Giving Tree and took some jumping off the stump pics. We have had several comments from neighbors about how nice it looks and how open everything is without the tree. I know we will miss the shade in the summer but not the worry. This is the tree we have taken pictures in front of every year since Kindergarten so that is another reason we are sad to see it go. Goodbye old tree, we will miss you!

1 comment:

  1. It made me sad to see Bethany cry but I'm relieved that my grandkids will not be crushed by the tree. It was a very beautiful old tree.

    ReplyDelete