Tuesday, March 04, 2014

{TWD:BWJ} Buttermilk Scones

A long time ago I lived in Scotland. I was just a little girl but I confirmed with my mom that we did eat scones while we were there. She didn't have a favorite, she just loved them all. :) I think she would have liked these as well if she didn't live many states away from me! This week's Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia recipe is Buttermilk Scones. I, of course, did not have buttermilk but made fake buttermilk with 2% milk and a tablespoon of white vinegar.
There were two options for shaping these flaky, buttery scones. I cut the first half into wedges and topped the wedges with mini M&M's. The second half I rolled out and topped with strawberry jam and white chocolate chips. I rolled that half up jelly roll style and cut it into several buns. Unfortunately all of the scones expanded and looked like one big scone when they came out of the oven. That was no matter though because these scones were devoured quickly by an appreciative bunch on an unexpected snow day. It was high 50's yesterday and it is 20 degrees today. Make sure to check out Tuesdays with Dorie: LYL to see how other bakers around the world liked these scones. You can also check out Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan. You can also find the recipe on the Baking with Julia site!

13 comments:

meli melo said...

These were wonderful, weren't they? So easy to make and so customizable!! Well done!!

Erin said...

I love your strawberry jam filled rolled scones. They look delicious. I'm going to have to try that soon.

sunita rohira said...

What a creative choice of fillings. Love the thought of strawberry jam and white chocolate chips. They were good and so easy to make.

yummychunklet said...

Your scones look fun and tasty!

Liz Berg said...

Yeah, my family doesn't care what my baked goods look like as long as they're yummy! I love your tweaks :)

jane of many trades said...

m&m's-that made me smile! good to see you baking with us again!

oneclevermom said...

You really could make this recipe your own, couldn't you? The options are endless. I love that you used m&m's! I would have never thought of that one! Made me smile!

Teresa said...

I especially like the strawberry version. It's nice to know that these can be varied in so many different ways.

oven chaos said...

M&Ms and snow day and scones? I am in too :) Great looking scones - I am thinking X-mas treats.

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

Those scones would definitely make any snow day better!! Looks great!

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

We enjoyed these as well. This recipe certainly is open to any variation - makes it nice.

KayB said...

Oh... your strawberry rolled scones looking really yummy, too. Great idea with the M&Ms!

Sweet and That's it said...

I love your scones, especially how you made them "colorful".
Well done.