Monday, March 03, 2014

{TWD: BWJ} {Spam and Anchovies} Dessert Edition: Chocolate Mascarpone Cheesecake

Chocolate Mascarpone Cheesecake....who could have guessed that this would be silky, smooth, and the slightest bit tangy? I have not had much experience with mascarpone cheese but I have to say, it was a glorious addition to this cheesecake! This was not difficult to whip up but I did need to make a quick trip to the local dollar store for a roasting pan large enough to accommodate my springform pan. In the past I have wrapped the bottom of the pan in foil before the water bath but this recipe did not call for that extreme measure. I am guessing that is because once cooled you flipped this over and patted the cookie crumbs onto the bottom of the cake. By doing this you avoided a soggy crust lest any water leak into the pan. Let me say, I was terrified to flip the cake...probably because I thought that the top would stick to the cutting board that I flipped it on to. As you can see it did not stick though and actually turned out quite lovely. 
 I whipped this up for my Spam and Anchovies cooking club last Friday. Beth brought pomegranate seeds and they were a perfect complement to the rich chocolatyness of the cheesecake. Our theme for cooking club this week was Desserts. We have changed things up a bit from last year. Our first year the host made the menu, asked people to bring ingredients, and then we all cooked together. Fun, but tiring. The second year the host made the main dish and everyone else brought drinks, sides and desserts. We kept that format through last year but did actually end up eating out quite a few times as a group. This year we are switching up eating out, dessert, and big meals hosted by one of our members. Hopefully this will keep us all excited about coming each time. Of course, the company can't be beat!

Melissa, Beth, Kenna, Vanessa, Melissa, Leanne, Me
Clearly, I need to use my flash as these ladies move too fast! I am thankful for silly conversation, grand announcements, desserts, and the time to hang out with and get to know each of these fantastic women each month!

Vanessa came a little late from a babysitting gig but made sure to keep track of all of our crazy zingers. Can't wait until next month and our Irish night!

For the cheesecake recipe you can go visit The Urban Baker. You can also pick up a copy of Baking with Julia and check out Tuesdays with Dorie. :) Enjoy!

2 comments:

yummychunklet said...

Wow. That looks fantastic.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Looks like a fun time! I am amazed that the top of the cake stayed intact. I chose to add a crust to the pan before baking. Your cake looks great. You changed up your site - looks good!