Friday, March 28, 2014

{FFWD} Vegetable Barley Soup with a Taste of India

 Wow, wow, wow!! When your hubs walks in the door and says that dinner smells great and brings in a loaf of crusty french bread you know dinner is going to be liked! I added chicken to my soup and used a bit less broth than was called for because we like our soups a little more like stew.

This is the first time I have used turmeric and garam masala for cooking and they will definitely make a repeat performance in my kitchen. I have also never cooked barley before and that was a nice surprise in this dish as well! Every one liked this and we have leftovers for lunch today!

Check out French Fridays with Dorie to see how other cooks around the world liked this soup.


13 comments:

Nana said...

I am sure the chicken made a big difference, it
certainly looks wonderful, and with crusty bread,
what's not to like.

Cher Rockwell said...

A nice crusty loaf of bread sounds great! Glad this was such a hit.

Cakelaw said...

I am with you on the chunky soup front - I like my soup to be hearty and filling.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

I really do love these spices too and the soup does scream for chicken.

Diane Balch said...

Isn't garam masala and amazing spice blend. You have to try it with yogurt chicken. I have a recipe on my blog... so glad you got introduced to a new seasoning that you like... and I wish I put some protein in my soup, it did need something.

Diane Balch said...

Isn't garam masala and amazing spice blend. You have to try it with yogurt chicken. I have a recipe on my blog... so glad you got introduced to a new seasoning that you like... and I wish I put some protein in my soup, it did need something.

b said...

Glad you discovered new spices you liked with this one.

Betsy said...

That last comment was from me. I don't know what happened. It took it before I typed in my name properly.

Amy said...

Yes...we agree about the chicken and next time will add it. Our house sure smelled wonderful, though!

Guyla Mayo said...

Karen your soup looks delicious and the addition of chicken was a great idea. What can be better than hubby showing up with French bread?

Kathy said...

Great looking soup…glad it was a hit in your house! I added chicken to mine, too! Have a good week Karen!

Mary Hirsch said...

Well, that was an enthusiastic Post. Good for you. That's what I like about cooking this book of Dorie's. I am using ingredients and making recipes I would never dream of making on my own. I learn something new each week and this was a bang-up week for you. Fresh bread makes anything taste better. Glad your entire family liked this, Karen.

Teresa said...

Nothing better than a dish that's a hit before you even get to the table! We really enjoyed this soup (with quinoa), too.