{FFWD} Sausage Stuffed Cornish Hens


Yes, yes I know it is Monday, not Friday but I didn't manage to get these tiny birds stuffed and baked until last night. I browned the sausage with some onions and garlic and saved three quarters of it for my St Patty's Day Shepherds Pie that I am making tonight. The skin on the birds was rubbed with butter and olive oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper, and rosemary. I also slit the skin and stuffed in more butter...because who doesn't love butter? I also chopped up a butternut squash to roast along with the hens. When I turned the hens I stirred the squash. Once the tiny birds were roasted I but them on a plate with their legs in the air to rest for a few minutes and then attempted to get the stuffing out of the birds...It didn't work out as well as one would hope. That didn't matter though. :) This recipe was a win for my whole fam! Everyone liked it and said "tastes like chicken"!

This was an interesting recipe to try with my family because I have only recently cooked chicken with bones. My son picked this right up and ate it with his hands and picked the bones clean. For a kid that in the past would not touch a drumstick that was pretty fun to watch. This was quick to put together and a delicious addition to the recipe stash.

May sure to check out Around My French Table for the recipe and the LYL on the French Fridays with Dorie page to see how others liked this recipe. Next Friday: Scallop and Onion Tartines.

Comments

  1. LOL- I was laughing when I read other posts about how folks had trouble cutting up the little birds. I had not posted that my younger son did as yours and basically made it finger food as he ate a bird in one sitting. Granted he did use a fork for the stuffing :) Yours looks wonderful- great idea to stick that butternut squash right in there. Happy St. Patty's Day !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was finger linking good! Great idea of roasting the squash at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband used his hands too - he picked all the meat off the bones, washed his hands, then ate the meat and stuffing with a fork. Squash was a great choice for the side.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment