{FFWD} Faux Tartines from La Croix Rouge

....and Garbure from the Supermarket.


Do you ever have one of those days when you look at a recipe and think "that could be good!" and then you show it to family members and they all get "that" look on their face? Two Tartines from La Croix Rouge was one of those recipes. An extremely simple recipe that called for crusty bread, thinly sliced salmon, rare roast beef, capers, mayo, gherkins, and lemon slices turned into one where I asked myself "how can I get my family to eat this"? The answer was simple! Make it out of angel food cake and candy! The roast beef is a watermelon belt dipped in Hershey's syrup. The mayo is marshmallow fluff. Salmon is chewy grapefruit slices that, had I had time, could have been softened and stretched to look a bit more like sliced salmon. And the capers are watermelon Jelly Belly's. You can bet I had no resistance when this was offered to my family! Bonus: we have angel food cake left over for dessert tonight! ;)
The Garbure from the Supermarket was last week's recipe and called for beans that has been soaked, boiled, and left to sit for an hour. Plenty of veggies were added to the mix along with ham bone. If you wanted to add a duck leg and garlic sausage later you could do that in the last hour of cooking. My girl loved this and went back for seconds...any maybe thirds. My husband thought it had good flavor as did I. My son was not a fan. I have said before that he has some sensory issues. The texture was a little mushy after all of the cooking so it was difficult for him to eat. He also has an appliance on the top of his mouth which catches food like this as well. He was a trooper though and ate as much as he could. 

You  might notice there is only one half of the bread stick left in the photo below. My "helper" was not terribly sneaky and stole it right off the plate while I was taking the pictures!
Overall, these were two successful recipes over the last couple of weeks. Obviously the dog thought so too. Make sure to check out Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan for the recipe. You can also check out the LYL to see how other cooks around the world liked this this week! Enjoy! :)

Comments

  1. HaHa...love that your pup joined in the fun. And your twist on the tartines would be popular with my family, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your creative take on the tartines! I bet the kids loved them. I've yet to catch up on the garbure, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - I would never have thought of making the tartines in cake, but it works for me! Love that puppy got to share in the garbure - or at least the bread. I liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great Dorie twofer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, you are creative!! Your garbure is delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dog was after the garbure. The smell of the meat was driving her crazy. I caved and gave her a piece of the meat mixed with her kibble. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting twist, looks quite good.
    I'm glad your garbure was a hit with your family,
    it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Easily the most creative take on these tartines! Though, I'm guessing a little more involved. But I'm sure they were a huge hit. Loved it!

    The garbure was yummy, wasn't it? Loved that your buddy "shared", mine would do the same (and have) if left to their own devices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How clever, Karen! Your candy renditions are so cute. Glad the family enjoyed! That soup was good. My dog got in on the act too, enjoying meat scraps from all that shredding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garbure looks delicious…glad the pup enjoyed his share! Your candy take on the tartines is very cute…bet the kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How creative! I love the idea of making the tartines out of candy. So much more fun than the original version :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your faux tartines are gorgeous and so clever! The garbure looks delicious. We enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the new tartines you made. What a great idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the fake out version :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment