Friday, February 21, 2014

{FFWD} Butter and Rum Crepes




This week's recipe for French Fridays with Dorie is Butter and Rum Crepes. Dorie talks about how you can get crepes on the street corners in Paris and that people eat them out of hand. The other day while Munchkin and I were finishing up at the Hot Chocolate 5K my hubster and Little Man were actually eating crepes from the crepe stand inside the Nashville Farmers Market. There is also a great crepe restaurant called The Red Bicycle that we have been to.


The batter for these was a cinch to whip up in the blender. I left the batter in the fridge for about 5 hours so it could thicken to the right consistency. I also made the sauce but made a mistake somewhere along the way. It came out way too thin but it was still tasty. It had lemon juice, orange juice and honey and gave the crepes a sweet, tangy touch. I think I finally got the hang of making these after the first few. They were not hard to make but they were time consuming. These were really a dessert crepe but I made them for dinner with bacon and fruit. I am sure I will make them again when I have the time. :)


Make sure to check out the LYL to see how other cooks around the world liked these this week! :)

21 comments:

  1. They look wonderful, Karen! So glad you enjoyed them! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see my hubby wasn't the only one who didn't eat these for dessert. I don't think the sauce was really necessary...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Karen - these look like they came from a restaurant! Very nicely done. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. And of course, bacon makes everything better. Even crepes. Love that your guys were enjoying these while you ladies did the race - too funny ! (and I am jealous that our farmer's market doesn't have a crepe stall...maybe I need to get better and open one up ???:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Topped with bacon, this is a sure winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your crepes look so delicious! Mine were not pretty, don't know that you could even call them crepes!
    Sounds like a fun day - and crepes at a farmer's market... nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crepes and bacon, perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter picked up the crepe with her hands to eat it. I don't remember the French doing this.. I don't remember the French ever touching their food with there hands. I'm going to have to pay attention the next time I am in Paris. It's been a few years… let's have a Dorista trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! I think I would've liked these much better as a dinner than as a dessert. I love breakfast for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked this recipe too. I hope you had fun running the Hot Chocolate 5k. I haven't done that one yet. I'll have to see if it will be in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look delicious, especially with the bacon. I miss American bacon. They slice it a little too thin here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL - I think serving these with bacon and fruit sounds wonderful. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes I saw right that was bacon on the side of your dish!! To tell you the truth if I hadn't decided to make the Gateau de Crepes I would have definitely had them with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your crepes look perfectly delicious. We loved the sauce at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look fantastic, Karen. How did your family think they compared to the ones at from The Red Bicycle? I love that name.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a BFD pinterest board - Breakfast for Dinner! Love that you turned them into a fun dinner with fruit. Great idea. These were really yummy with the zest in the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yumm! These sound great right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So perfect! I'd be perfectly happy to have these for dinner - especially with bacon. We have a restaurant here in Vancouver called The Red Wagon, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious! And the bacon? Well, enough said...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those crepes look perfect. Love the color. I need to make some of that sauce.

    ReplyDelete