{FFWD} Moules Marinière

When I was about 8 years old, at least I think I was that old, we went to an Oyster Bake. What I remember from that particular adventure was that I was given an oyster to eat and as I chewed, it just got bigger and bigger until I finally spit it out. I have never put shellfish in my mouth again since then except (accidentally) for a scallop once at a wedding. I spit that out too. I have tried to eat shrimp but the texture of it when I bite into it weirds me out. When someone's teeth squeak together when we are eating that gives me chills too and not in a good way. All of that to say I was a little terrified to make mussels! My husband loves shrimp but said it was maybe a mental thing about shellfish that kind of freaked him out as well. I will admit when we started this book this was one of the recipes that I immediately said "Nope!" However, there aren't that many recipes left so I am trying to make as many of them as I can.

Since I have never eaten anything like this before I posted the question "How does one eat mussels?" on Facebook. The responses varied from "As often as possible" "I don't" and " With lots of garlic and tomato broth! Oh and bread too...The crusty kind!" to "fork and fingers" and a helpful Youtube video.

The actual prep time for these was far shorter than I thought it would be. I was seriously wishing for onion goggles as I chopped the onions. That was the hardest part! I made a pound and a half instead of the 4 pounds that the recipe called for. I didn't have a bullion cube on hand so I left it out. I had almost the right amount of white wine but supplemented with less than a 1/4 of a cup water.  I made sure to have some delicious crusty bread to serve with this as well.

Once everything was prepped and pictures were taken (I tried to take them fast so the mussels would still be warm) we dug in. Bobby ate one mussel and said it tasted fishy but wasn't bad. Little Man ate one and spit it out. Munchkin ate one and stopped there. I have lovely neighbors that are willing to try out these crazy dishes so I took the bowl next door. My friend Anna loved them! Her little boy came in from playing outside and said he loved them and took one out to his friend who came in and dug in as well. We tried to save some for the dad but he doesn't actually like mussels. He did, however, love the sauce and said that he just kept dipping bread in it to finish it off! We have a couple more mussels recipes so it looks like I may be sharing again in the future. :)

Make sure to check out French Fridays with Dorie and all of the other fabulous cooks who made this recipe this week!

Comments

  1. I'm glad the kids at least tried them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this Post. I am in sympathy with not liking something because of a bad childhood experience. I never liked peas because they mushed up in the roof of my mouth. Still don't like em. I have never thought of looking on You Tube or posting a Facebook request about how to eat something!!! After Michael died. (I did have to look on You Tube to see how to set a mousetrap!!). What made me laugh was your making this effort a neighborhood project. Your neighbors must hang around your back door to see what you're stirring up each week. You are a good sport, Karen, for making this recipe this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for making something you truly do not like. It is difficult to prepare a recipe when you have no idea of the results. I skipped this week,
    hubby doesn't touch them, and I eat very little of these anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for knowingly making something you abhor. And extra kudos for getting the family and neighbors to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for making it work.

    There are a few foods from my childhood that I still can't stomach to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you went for the adventure and tried these, even if you didn't love them. Sharing is almost as good as enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny Karen! You tried. Good for you and your neighbor appreciates your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute stories! Lucky neighbor!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment