Friday, January 03, 2014

{FFWD} Dressy Pasta Risotto

It is 2014 and I am actually on time with a French Fridays with Dorie recipe! Please be excited because I know I am! There aren't that many recipes left so I need to stay on top of completing them this year!

2014's first recipe is Dressy Pasta Risotto. Which is not really risotto but mac and cheese. My family loves mac and cheese so I thought this would be something they would like. I was a little concerned though because the recipe called for Marscapone cheese....which I forgot to get at the grocery store. I did a quick Google search for something to sub and came up with a few different options. 1) make my own marscapone 2) mix together cream cheese, sour cream, and heavy cream 3) do something else.. Since I was short on time I chose option 3 and just added in the cream cheese in the amount marscapone was called for. I also added in shredded chicken that was left over the rotisserie chicken  we had the night before.

It turned out a little tuna casserole-ish for my tastes but everyone went back for seconds so I know this was a win! We had steamed green beans on the side and would have had garlic knots but I didn't get them in the oven on time.

Since  it is a new year, if you would like to join the Doristas in finishing up this cookbook, just pick up a copy of Around My French Table. Make sure to check out the LYL as well to see how other cooks around the world liked this! :)

14 comments:

Christy said...

I'm excited for you! I'm excited I was on time too! Happy New Year to you and your family - this was a great way to start FFWD this year.

Renee said...

Nice addition with the cream cheese and chicken. This was a keeper. Everyone loved it!

Adriana said...

I didn't have any mascarpone either, so I added an extra quarter cup of Parmesan. It thickened up very nicely. But better believe I went straight to Carolyn's post to see how to make my own in the future!

Liz Berg said...

Nice idea to make an entree from this dish. My family happily ate it all up, too :)

Kathy said...

I went the cream cheese, sour cream and cream route…it was pretty good. I am definitely going to try and make the mascarpone. We really enjoyed this dish…glad your family enjoyed it! Happy New Year Karen!!

Betsy Anderson said...

i will definitely be makin this one Karen...i love to cook with mascarpone....Tia will love it...hopefully i can get to krogers before the shelves are empty tmo. thanks for the great sounding recipe. I may add some sun dried tomatoes since i love them so much..will let ya know.

dulceshome.com said...

I'm so happy you enjoyed this one! I thought it was very yummy. I did add a bit of wine at the start, and finished with a bit of truffle salt, so it seemed a little "dressier". Well done on getting your post out! I feel like I'm always behind. Happy New Year!

Betsy said...

Looks delicious. I like the idea of adding chicken and making it a meal. Happy New Year, Karen!

Arisuchan said...

oooh...! garlic bread would have been a perfect side for this dish!! Wowza! :) Great job this week and of course, awesome that the family loved it!

Ei said...

I added chicken to mine, too. I'm glad to know that it works out if you sub the mascarpone for cream cheese, because mascarpone is definitely not something I keep around the house or know how to use up.

Maria Zioga said...

For me it is definitely a main meal next time I will add a bit of bacon or chicken! Happy New Year

tricia s. said...

SO glad that you mentioned the cream cheese working because I am making this again and was eyeing up the big bar of cream cheese in my fridge !! SO glad everyone enjoyed it. My family did too and are already requesting a repeat. Here's to a wonderful 2014 !

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Great dish, huh? I used mac as I couldn't bear to use Barilla and that was all the tubetti I could find. I think I would have liked the sour cream flavor on this one.

Cher Rockwell said...

I used shells, so the tuna casserole concept never crossed my mind, but throw in some tuna and peas and I can see it :-)