Friday, November 29, 2013

{FFWD} Sugar Crusted French Toast {TWD} Challah



 I know, I know, I am combining French Fridays with Dorie and Tuesdays with Dorie this week. But, I have a good reason! The Challah recipe from Baking with Julia is the recipe for this coming Tuesday. Knowing it was a brioche I thought it would be perfect for the Sugar Crusted French Toast from Around My French Table. I am using an unfamiliar oven this week so of course I have to give myself room for error on some things. I started the dough early on Wednesday and let it go through all 3 rise cycles. I was at a high elevation so I was a little worried about high altitude baking issues. The dough rose really well though. Things I would change for next time: use a stone instead of a baking sheet and try to braid a little more evenly. I was very disappointed when I pulled the Challah out of the oven and the bottom of both loaves were burned to a crisp. Thankfully, I was able to trim the burnt part off with a good bread knife. My sister has chickens so she took the burnt pieces and gave her cluckers a treat. Of course her dog really wanted those burnt tidbits and tried to break into the chicken coop to get them.

It was up to me to make breakfast for everyone this morning and Sugar Crusted French Toast was on the menu. My dad made bacon while my mom fired up the griddle for me. I was a little skeptical of the Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler at first but when the plates popped off and were able to be washed in the dishwasher I was hooked! As a quick sidenote, I love my griddle but I despise cleaning it. Easier cleaning makes me happy.

Everyone, of course, loved this sweet french toast. Who couldn't love french toast that has a caramely, sweet coating on it? The Challah was the perfect brioche to make this with. I have actually made this recipe several times. Once was for Christmas breakfast last year and once was for my husband's band that was over practicing at our house one night. It is definitely a keeper of a recipe.The best part of course was sharing this with family that I love! I used half and half instead of heavy cream this time as there was no heavy cream to be found this morning. It worked out just fine. If you haven't tried this before I highly suggest picking up Around my French Table and Baking with Julia and making these right now! Enjoy!

11 comments:

Debbie said...

I can testify of it's yumminess!

Betsy said...

Using that homemade challah must have made this an extra-special breakfast! I loved the crispy sugar coating on the French toast. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Ei said...

Even if the bottom of your challah was burned, the top is the most beautiful color!

Amy Andrews said...

Beautiful challah! I had to laugh about feeding the burned bits to the chickens - my girls are eating well w/all my kitchen experiments too! :)

Cher Rockwell said...

We combined the TWD Challah with this week's French toast as well - I was so happy for a two-fer.

Your toast looks like it came out perfectly.

I used to have a Griddler and loved it (until I dropped it on a ceramic floor and it met an untimely end... along with some tile damage)

AdriBarr said...

What a glorious challah! And it does make the finest French toast, don't you think? This just looks so tempting, all the way around. Thanks!

yummychunklet said...

Tasty looking post!

Cakelaw said...

Your French toast looks good - but your challah in all its glory is gorgeous!

Kathy said...

Gorgeous challah and lovely french toast! Hope your holiday was filled with peace and joy, Karen!

Teresa said...

Both the challah and the French toast look delicious! I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

Jora said...

I combined the Challah and French Toast recipes too (although I still haven't gotten around to posting about them). Challah French Toast is always my favorite. Hope you're enjoying the holidays!