Friday, October 04, 2013

{FFWD} Salad Nicoise


I am a cheater. That is all. ;) I bought ingredients for this lovely salad and have only cooked once this week. I made homemade mac and cheese Monday night and we have eaten leftovers from that a couple of times, Bobby and the kids made some pasta sides, and we ate out once. I am going to Girl Scout camp in  less than an hour so I took my son and went downtown to have lunch with my hubs. We went to Blackstone Brewery (they have a great kids menu that includes m & m's and homemade applesauce). I happened to see that Black Olive Salad Nicoise was on the menu and included all of the ingredients in Dorie's recipe except anchovies. They let me sub sliced chicken for the grilled tuna and I was in business. As soon as my salad arrived I whisked it off of our dark table to a table with natural light that I had been eyeing since we had been seated. The caper vinaigrette was a perfect complement to all of the ingredients in this dish. You might notice no eggs in the first picture. I noticed too after I took the picture and requested them for later. So, I still ate Salad Nicoise today, I just didn't make it myself!


Make sure to check out French Fridays with Dorie and the Leave your Link to see how other cooks around the world liked this dish this week!

10 comments:

  1. I like your ingenuity, Karen! We all have weeks like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, This may be one of the funniest FFWD Posts that I have ever read. I am LOL. Who would even think of doing this? It's never crossed my mind. But, hey, if it works, you go, Girl. Thanks for providing me with such an hilarious moment this week. Please let us know about Girl Scout Camp. I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that someone "cheated" this week :) I have always wanted to eat a Dorie dish without making it on a week when we are due to make it but it's never quite worked out that way! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny... you still had the salad. I think you get partical credit. Have fun at girl scout camp. I used to be a leader, fun but a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny, Karen! What a happy coincidence that you found this week's assignment on the menu! You should try this at home sometime too. It's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - why not? wish someone would cook for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, fantastic idea! :) I'm going to start having other people make my food for me from now on when I'm busy. I like it! LOL - I wish! :) Plus I enjoy cooking too much. At least you were able to participate and caper vinaigrette? Sounds like a great way to incorporate them! Great job and love your "moody" first pic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am raising my hand here to... how I wish I could find more "Dorie food" out there! My eyes were especially open during the rest of our time in Seattle for some rice pudding, but it did not work out. Lucky you!

    (And double kudos for moving your plate to the table with the better light! I need to find and then channel my inner Scrivani too. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen good for you! That's the way to make French Friday work for you! Enjoy camp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! We all have weeks like that.
    Enjoy camp!

    ReplyDelete