Andrea and Seattle

Andrea and I became friends during our Master's program at Azusa Pacfic University. She was my roommate for a NASPA conference in Santa Barbara and such a sweet friend throughout our short time together at APU. After graduating I stuck around L.A. and she trucked back up to Washington. The next time I got to see her was 10 years ago at Tacoma High School. Bobby's band Daily Planet was on Shoutfest and Munchkin and I traveled a bit with the band. It was so fun to see her then and to introduce her to my little miss. Munchkin was only about 3 months old though and slept through the concert with cotton in her ears. Andrea gave me one of my very favorite Christmas ornaments years ago. It is a little filigree angel that adorns our tree every year.

When I decided to go to IFBC I knew I wanted to see Andrea and spend some time with her! As it so happens the week I was up was also the beginning of the quarter for the college. Anyone in higher education knows that is a crazy time for everyone. Andrea picked me up from the W hotel Sunday evening and we headed out to dinner at Toulouse Petit Kitchen and Lounge. We didn't have reservations but we were able to snag a spot at the bar. The bartenders were very helpful and ...we'll say happy...to offer suggestions. :) We ordered Housemade Boar Garlic Sausage, Slow Roasted Duck Confit, and Grilled Asparagus Wrapped with Prosciutto Fennel and Pea Shoot Salad. Every bite of each dish was delicious. I don't think I have had duck or boar before so both of those were interesting to try. The decor was beautiful. Even the bar was carved with intricate designs. It is a place I would definitely go back especially to catch up and have good conversation with a sweet friend!

Andrea graciously let me crash at her place that night and then offered me a conference room at her work the next morning so I could work on grading some papers, writing some blog posts, and general internet frivolity aka trolling Facebook and Twitter before my flight home. :) We were able to spend some time catching up at her place Sunday night. Before we headed into work though (taking full advantage of the carpool lane) we stopped by Top Pot donuts and Stumptown for coffee. My favorite doughnut was old fashioned salted caramel..sooo tasty! Taking in a dozen doughnuts also encouraged all of Andrea's coworkers to come meet me in the the conference room and to partake in the sugary goodness that is Top Pot.

Alas, the time we got to spend together was far too short! Next time I am in Seattle I will have to make sure it is not a crazy busy time so we will get to spend more time together. I am just thankful for the time we got to spend catching up this time. Next time the photo albums come with!

Comments