Almost S'mores Cupcakes

In week two of one of the classes I teach we talk about collaboration. My students are required to work in teams on several assignments throughout the five weeks of class so I do a fun activity in week two to hopefully help them understand why it is important to work together. They have to build the tallest house of cards and follow certain rules to win. To sweeten the deal and up the competition I tell them the winning team gets to choose the dessert they want me to bring for week five. I usually take Blondies or Swedish Visiting Cake in week 1 so they already have a taste of baked goodness. :) Past winning teams have chosen cheesecake, chocolate cake, and cookies. My class that ended Thursday chose cupcakes. They didn't give specifics...just cupcakes.

Wednesday was insane, I taught for 4 hours picked kids up from my friend Betsy, went to preview day at the elementary school, went home for an hour, and then back to teach for another 4 hours. School started Thursday so I dropped one kid at elementary, then the other at middle school, sat on my porch and talked to a neighbor who had dropped her kids off, turned around and started the pick up process. Yikes!

I searched through my recipes to find a good cupcake recipe. I have to be honest, I don't think I am a great cupcake baker! So this challenge worried me a bit. At last I found a chocolate cupcake recipe in my collection. We have had this recipe for years and I don't know where I got it only that the page is covered in water spots and cocoa powder and my kiddos have made it by themselves several times.

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
3 TBSP unsalted butter, at room temperature (or zapped in the microwave for 10 seconds)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract (or a splash)
1 cup 2% milk

Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line your muffin pan (plus two extra in another pan).
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, and salt.
In a seperate large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each addition.
Stir in the vanilla.
Alternately add in the flour and milk starting and ending with flour mixture. If you are using a mixer throw a towel over the mixer to avoid covering everything in your kitchen with cocoa power.
Fill the muffin cups 1/2-3/4 full. This should make 12-14 cupcakes.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick or thin knife comes out clean.


The cupcakes were a cinch to throw together however my kitchen...and my clothes....were covered in cocoa powder because I did not have a towel handy to throw over the mixer. As they cooled I started to make the frosting. I called my hubster and asked him to bring home Hershey bars. Then checked the cabinet for graham crackers, didn't see any, and sent him a text to get those too. He got the text when he got home.

This frosting is amazing! I think it tastes delicious even if it is a bit time consuming to make and even if I did do something rather stupid in the process of making it. The frosting is from Cooks.com and is a marshmallow frosting. It requires a double boiler which I do not have. I found a bowl that would hold all of the ingredients over the rapidly boiling water. Unfortunately, the bowl I chose was glass. Fortunately only the outside of the bowl cracked and it didn't shatter. Ingredients were able to be transferred to a metal bowl, a complete inspection of the inside of the cracked bowl was made and it was determined that only the outside cracked and the rest of the frosting making was able to commence.

Oh yeah, and we had a plumber here and no water. I had to send my girl to a neighbors house to get water for the bottom of the double boiler and I was out of sugar and had to ask another neighbor because the plumber was here and I could not leave.

The plumber got done replacing a cartridge in our downstairs tub and the valve that sends water to the house and a washer on our outside hose spigot just as I got done using the kitchen torch on the marshmallow frosting. Thankfully the company takes payments because I couldn't pay the entire amount that day. I did give him a cupcake as we sent him on his way.

The payoff in this whole saga? My students loved the cupcakes! :) I had one who said he was going to be made at himself for eating it because he works out all the time but he ate it anyway and said it was good. :) The cupcakes were not pretty but they were tasty!! :)

Comments

  1. YES!! I do want to make these. Lucky students!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment