Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Where I Am

Well, here it is the end of July. My kiddos are headed back to school in a few days and I am thinking about the direction of my blog. My little tag line at the top is Live, Eat, Laugh, Love, and Take Pictures of it All! This is our life! I am thinking I am going to head further into the food blogging world. Yes, I have been blogging about food for 5 years now! Crazy, right? However, I see all of these beautiful food blogs out there with amazing photos and drool inducing recipes. If I am going to head that way I think I will need to be a bit more invested in creating recipes and in the photography aspect so you will drool when you come to my site.

In September I am headed to IFBC (the International Food Blogger conference) in Seattle. Part of the draw for me is that Dorie Greenspan is the keynote speaker on the opening day. She is, of course, the author of the 3 cookbooks I have been baking through over the past few years. She was also my secret Christmas card buddy a few years ago and she sent me an autographed copy of her Paris Sweets cookbook. Talk about drool worthy! So, needless to say I am quite excited to meet her in person.
International Food Blogger Conference 2013 Seattle

I have ourcrazyblessedife.com and was thinking that would be my photography site but may just include all aspects of my tag line over there. I know I am a mom blogger. One friend suggested Family Friendly Foodie. I am not sure how to categorize myself in the blog world. I started this blog way back in 2006 as kind of a journal and as something for our far away family to follow. As my kids get older and technology improves it is still fun to share what my kiddos are doing but I am feeling I need to pull them back a bit on the blog and maybe keep them for my private Facebook page with family.

Anyway, I met up with a friend that has a fairly successful blog and she told me, for the conference,  I have to have an elevator speech so people will actually talk to me. If I have nothing to offer people will have something better to do. I have no idea what to say at this point. Apparently I also need to order business cards! I need a logo. I am kind of freaking out.

These two posts (from What About the Food and Eat the Love)  have been very helpful though....note to self remember sharpies, extra bags for swag, comfortable shoes, dress business casual...not mom frump, make sure to have a sweater for the conference rooms, bring business cards, have an elevator speech, be prepared for questions about my camera and manual mode, take lots of pictures (duh, have you met me?), don't get overwhelmed.....

I am overwhelmed....

However, people on the Facebook page have been very helpful and are as excited as I am. So far I have 2 roommates for Friday and Saturday night. We have not met yet but it calms me a bit to know that they don't know anyone either. OK, I am feeling a little calmer now. I just have to book my plane ticket and start checking everything else off my to do list!

6 comments:

acookingmizer said...

Oh Karen, you have given me a few more things to think about in preparation for the conference!! EEK! :) I'm so excited to meet everyone! What is an elevator speech?? I'm curious now... !! LOL !

Karen Reinsch said...

Alice, it is a 30 second speech that gives the purpose of your blog.

Adriana said...

Don't freak out. I think the conference newbies will definitely outnumber the seasoned veterans. :-) If you know you want to get out of the conference, you are already ahead of the game!

Karen Reinsch said...

Thanks Adriana! :) I think I know what I want so far!

Julie Ketchup said...

Don't worry, I'm a newbie too! I have heard that elevator pitches aren't always a good thing. Just be you and be passionate about what you do and that will come through to the people you talk to! Also I'm incredibly nervous as I'm a shy person but there will be a lot of people there like us.
You can also get great, cheap or even free business cards at Vistaprint.com

Karen Reinsch said...

Thanks Julie! I will definitely look into vistaprint! :) I am looking forward to meeting you!