Friday, July 12, 2013

{FFWD} Whole Cherry Clafoutis

Welcome back! It is Friday again and I am actually posting on Friday once again! I made this lovely whole cherry clafoutis (cla-foo-tee) last week when my sweet mother in law was here. She actually knew how to pronounce this so that was very helpful in explaining what it was. I picked up the delectable cherries at Whole Foods the same day I picked up the wheat berries.
In Around My French Table, Dorie explains that it is traditional to leave the pits in the cherries so they keep their flavor. You do have to give a disclaimer though so no one breaks their teeth...or brackets on their braces. Let's just say getting the pits from mouths to the plate was not terribly graceful. At our table it very well could have turned into a pit spitting contest.
 This egg custardy dessert came together very easily. I buttered the pie plate, placed the cherries on the bottom, and poured over the rest of the ingredients. I think I had to bake this a few minutes longer than indicated but that was ok. 
The end result had my husband making a weird face that betrayed his true feelings. He said he liked the bready part because it tasted like pop up pancakes but he would like it better without the cherries. If it had chocolate he probably would have liked it better.

Munchkin said she would have liked it without the pits in the cherries. Little Man didn't eat the cherries. Mom and I both liked our pieces a lot!
 As you can see Munchkin used her fingers to get the pits from her mouth to her plate.
Overall, this seems like it would be a very versatile dessert to make. I may make it again with raspberries and chocolate. I know I will like it! To see how other bakers from around the world liked this recipe check out the LYL on French Fridays with Dorie.
Next week: Swordfish with frilly herb salad.

9 comments:

Diane Balch said...

My husband wasn't game for it either. I pitted them which made it much safer and no chance of a spitting contest with my kids.. Yours looks lovely.

Kathy said...

It looks beautiful…sorry it wasn’t a hit with all the family! We really enjoyed this one…but then I love anything custard! Happy Friday!!

Debbie said...

Could you use blueberries and lemon zest in this recipe?

Teresa said...

Nice job! I like the idea of drizzling some chocolate over it, in place of the icing sugar (or perhaps in addition to it).

yummychunklet said...

Perfect looking clafoutis!

acookingmizer said...

looks great and the stained fingers are the mark of a great dessert! Love your header btw :)

Cher Rockwell said...

Cherries and chocolate is usually a good plan!
Love the stained fingers :-)

KarenP said...

I think my husband would have liked this better with chocolate too! Your looks perfect!

Margaret said...

Your custard looks perfect. We really liked this one. Definitely making it again, but without the pits.