Saturday, June 22, 2013

{FFWD} Sable Breton Galette with Berries

Summer for us means plenty of free time, trying to find fun free things to do, and lovely summer fruit. There are many pick your own places for strawberries around the area and that is something I would love to do in the future. 

This berry galette was simple to throw together with basic ingredients. I decided to make mini tarts instead of one large 9 inch tart. This partially has to do with the fact that I do not have a 9 inch tart pan. I never think about this fact until it is time to make a tart and I pull out my 11 inch pan. I made the 6 minis instead this time.
These sweet little tarts called for lemon curd (or you could use whipped cream) topped with mixed berries. I took the naked tarts over to my friend, Lindsay's, house. We took my kiddos swimming at the neighborhood pool (her boys were at camp and at a sleepover) and came back to the house a couple of hours later feeling quite hungry. I am not sure about you but being in the sun that long and swimming makes my crew feel famished. I spread lemon curd over the sable base and topped it with the strawberries that Lindsay had sliced. 
Each of the four of us ate one of these tarts. Little Man liked the strawberries the best. It was pretty much agreed though that the raspberries and blueberries went better with the lemon curd than the strawberries. The best part of this was getting to share it with a friend! :) I did leave one tart shell at home for my hubs. He spread Nutella on it and ate it without berries. It was a win! :)

Last week I was running a bit behind so I also made Back of the Card Cheese and Olive Bread this week. I mentioned in an earlier post that I don't eat black olives so this was one that my tasters were going to have to give me reviews on. The bread came together very, very easily. I used Gruyere cheese (which I love, so smoky) along with a store bought black olive tapenade.  The bread smelled so good while it was baking. I did end up having to leave it in quite a bit longer than I anticipated for it to bake all the way through, but that was ok. I did taste a little bit and the taste was good. Olives are just not something I like. My hubs tried a slice and liked it ok but did not devour the loaf like I expected. My kiddos, however, loved this bread! They pretty much ate the entire loaf over the course of 2 days. They wanted to know when I would make it again! So I guess for them it was a win.

A side note here. My son has Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum. He just turned 9 and still struggles a bit with some sensory issues. He used to tell me he didn't like something before even trying it. By being part of Tuesdays with Dorie and French Fridays with Dorie he has been exposed to many different kinds of foods. We have a two bite rule in our house. That means you have to take at least 2 good bites of something new and then if you really don't like it I will give you something else. There have been very few times I have made a peanut butter sandwich instead of what we are eating. Some of his issues are still sensory so certain things cause a gag response or a thumbs up for the initial taste and then thumbs down for texture. All of that is to say I am glad that my husband and I have continued to have both of our kids trying new foods. They are usually pretty excited to try new things even if they do not end up liking them. And they find new things that they like that their dad and I don't. 

Make sure to check out the LYL to see how other French Fridays with Dorie bakers enjoyed this recipe. :)

11 comments:

Patty Price said...

Karen -I thought about making the mini galettes-so I'm glad to see you did! They are just as sweet as I thought they would be, individual desserts are always appreciated! I also have the back of the card cheese and olive bread on my 'to bake' list and hope I can get around to making it too ;)

Diane Balch said...

I wish I called "you have to try everything" the two bite rule that would have been a catchier phrase. My kids eat such a variety of foods because they are expected to try everything. Wonderful about your son.. I have a broader palette from being in this group too.

Kathy said...

Karen, Your mini galettes look beautiful!
Strawberry picking is a great activity with kids. I go picking every year, in fact I just went last week. And then I made jam and pies with those beautiful fresh berries.
Your bread also looks great.

yummychunklet said...

Delicious mini galettes and bread!

Beth said...

Your mini-tarts look wonderful. What a great way to enjoy the season's fresh fruit!
And I'm sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. I've never heard of that condition before, but it sounds like he's usually pretty game to try something new.

tricia s. said...

Love that you found such a creative way to expand your two bite rule and assist with your son's taste adventures- nothing like FFWD to test all of our comfort levels (salmon in a jar, I am looking at you....). Also funny because I like Gruyere AND black olives but somehow did not like that bread. We never did finish it. Now these galettes...a winner for sure. I enjoyed far too many of the ones Nana prepared and look forward to making some when I come back from vacation. Before the diet....:)

Betsy said...

Your minis are so cute, Karen. Isn't it fun to share food we make? BTW, I went strawberry picking this weekend, picked 20 pounds, but AFTER I made the tart. Jam time! Yum!

TeaLady said...

Mini anything is always fun to make. Your tartlets are cute. I really need to make the olive bread.

mireia badia said...

As good as this all sounds I think I would go for the nutella one hahahaha but then again, i'm CRAZY about nutella

Cher Rockwell said...

Your mini versions are great.

FFwD & TWD have been great for my kids (even though they are older) - it has definitely taken them "outside the box" and made them more adventurous eaters.

Liz Berg said...

Your minis are so beautiful!

My daughter has cerebral palsy and many of the same textural issues...she's older and stubborn, but still wish I could get her to try new foods! You've done well, Mom.