Friday, April 05, 2013

{FFWD} Pierre Hermes Olive Sables

My husband and I have been married for 15 years and we have known each other for 19. That is over half my life. Last year he discovered that I don't like olives. I am not sure why he didn't know before. It probably has something to do with ordering pizza with black olives on it for the last 19 years. I just pick them off. Why don't I insist on the kind of pizza I want? I do on occasion but it doesn't matter that much to me. Pizza gives me horrible heartburn so I usually only eat one slice anyway. This just goes to show though that there is always something new to learn about your spouse, even after ordering pizza together for 19 years....18 years we were just friends the first year we knew each other and didn't really hang out outside of class.

Usually my posts include me stating that my hubs doesn't really like something that went into a recipe and then is usually pleasantly surprised. Well, the tables have turned. Since I despise black olives I was hesitant to try these. However, I popped one of these tender little cookies in my mouth and I was pleasantly surprised! :) My girl said they tasted like sugar cookies and my little man just kept eating them. I did think they needed more salt; I thought the olives would make them saltier. I also kept wondering how these would taste with dried blueberries instead of the olives...hm I see another post in my future.


One of the required ingredients was the yolk of a hard boiled egg. Lucky for me, Easter was Sunday so I had plenty of hard boiled eggs to work with. You had to grate the yolk to be added into the mix later. That was rather messy but done easily enough. I threw the wrapped logs in the freezer and baked them later yesterday afternoon.

This morning I took a bag of these down to our local coffee shop to hand out as samples. Later this afternoon a friend of mine that works there said they were delicious and people would taste one and take another. I don't think they will last long. :) Make sure to check out the LYL to see how other French Fridays with Dorie cooks liked this recipe. You can find the recipe in Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan.

5 comments:

Betsy said...

I'm impressed that your husband could go 19 years without knowing you don't like olives. My husband keeps changing what he likes and doesn't like, and insisting whatever the current state happens to be, that it's always been that way. I just roll my eyes. I love the vibrant colors of your Easter eggs!

Liz Berg said...

I don't think my hubby has a clue what I don't like...as he is the one with the huge list of dislikes! I loved the texture of these...I think fruit would be an excellent substitute for the olives :) Happy weekend~

mireia badia said...

It's amazing how sometimes through this groups you make a recipe that totally surprises you, right? I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Teresa said...

Thank goodness for the jaded tastebuds of chefs! I think most home bakers would never have thought of this combination. i was surprised at how good it was and how well it went over.

Cher Rockwell said...

The Dude and I are always finding things that the other doesn't like - even after all these years. (And he always orders pepperoni on the pizza - even though I can't deal :-) )
Fun pictures