{FFWD} Orange Scented Lentil Soup

One of these days I will post on time. :) This was a very simple yet extremely painful recipe for me to make. Why was it painful you ask? Well, I am training for a half marathon and yesterday was an 8 mile training run. I have been nursing an injury for the past two weeks so this was my first run back. I did the run/walk in an hour and 43 minutes but ended it with giant blisters on both feet. I pretty much felt like a zombie the rest of the day. I knew this recipe was not going to be too terribly difficult to put together though so I pulled myself off the couch by my bootstraps and got to work.
The recipe called for French green lentils. I managed to find some small whole green lentils at Trader Joes. I may have also found some chocolate covered butterscotch caramels but that is beside the point. :) After a good onion cry I put the onions and carrots in the pot to soften. I forgot to get celery so that did not go in the pot. After the veggies were softened all of the other ingredients went in the pot, were brought to a boil, and then simmered for 45 minutes.  I added salt and pepper and let the mixture simmer just a little bit longer.

Soups are always a little iffy with my fam. This particular soup got high praise from my hubs though! He said that the flavor was really good. He mentioned that soups like this tend to be bland and pasty so he was impressed that this tasted so good. I am sure part of it was the orange rind that made it taste so good. My daughter, of course, loved this soup. My son asked how many bites he had to eat. I really liked this too. Even better was how easy this was on a night when I didn't want to move at all. :)

A couple of days ago I saw a pin on Pinterest for these banana oatmeal cookies. In addition to the oats and bananas, I added chocolate chips and heath pieces. The kids liked these a lot. They were definitely easy and worth making with the almost too ripe bananas we had on hand. Now, I am off to find some rose extract for next weeks Isophan cake. :)

Comments