Sunday, March 31, 2013

{FFWD} Lemon Steamed Spinach

Way back in 1929 there was a comic strip that introduced Popeye to the world. He gained popularity when  he hit the silver screen and the popularity continued to grow. I remember watching Popeye as a kid and I am sure that has to do with the cartoon that came out in 1978. Popeye.com has all the history you could want to know about this iconic figure! One thing I remember about the cartoon was Popeye popping those cans of spinach open and downing that yucky looking vegetable to make him strong. To be honest, even with that example, I had zero desire to eat canned spinach, or any spinach for that matter. To be even more honest I don't think I had ever actually bought spinach before this recipe called for it...unless I needed it for another recipe.

At the beginning of February I saw a post about Cook the Books: Asian Dumplings. I got the book at the library and had grand intentions of making several recipes and jumping in on the Cook the Books challenge. I even went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and bought this nifty bamboo steamer basket with some of my Christmas money.

Time got away from me, I had to return the cookbook, and I still hadn't steamed anything. Luckily for me I had a recipe for French Fridays with Dorie that included only 3 ingredients: spinach, lemon zest, and olive oil.



I cannot tell you how excited I was to used this new contraption in my kitchen! I was a little confused because it did not come with directions but I was able to find several places online that gave some specifics. One person instructed to line the basket with lettuce leaves to prevent sticking. I figured since I was making spinach that I didn't need to line the basket.


I tossed the spinach and arugula mix into a bowl, zested the lemon, added the olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Before steaming, Munchkin and I kept snagging bites. Delicious! Just the zest and oil alone made this tasty.  The steaming part was incredibly easy in my bamboo steamer basket and it steamed the spinach perfectly.

Once this was steamed I asked for reviews from my 3 food critics. Munchkin loved it, my hubster said "it was much better than he expected it to be", and Little Man said "Why does spinach taste like leaves"?  I really liked this a lot and it think that it will make another appearance in the future. Gone are the days of thinking spinach is just slimy and from a can! Check out the LYL to see how other chefs around the world liked this recipe!

4 comments:

  1. Bamboo steamers are so lovely! I remember that Popeye movie, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting looking gadget and I'm sure you
    will find many uses for it now that you got started.
    Your spinach looks great, and we loved this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your Post. You are the first FFWD colleague who has mentioned Popeye. I think it's only fitting he is given his due. Thank you. Someone else used bamboo steamer. Was it Teresa? I found both your write-ups about them rather intriquing and, since they aren't particularly expensive, might buy one for fun. Glad your family liked this, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The steamer is fun looking. There are a few dishes I have made where one of those would have come in handy

    ReplyDelete