Last Thursday I started looking for rose syrup and rose extract. I live in a fairly diverse city so I thought I would have no problem tracking these items down. How wrong I was. Thursday I tried Trader Joes, Hobby Lobby, and a couple of International Markets. I found Rose Water and figured if I couldn't find the syrup I could make it myself. On Wednesday I got really serious about finding the rose extract and starting calling every hobby store, specialty grocery store, and cake decorating shop I could think of. I even went to the local health food store. I thought I was getting close when I called Whole Foods Body but their extract included Jojoba and was not to be taken internally. I called a cafe that was recommended to me who referred me to another international market about 40 minutes from me. It was already closing time though and the gentleman that answered the phone was very vague on whether they had the extract or not. He listed several that they did have but rose was not included in the list. At that point I was ready to give up the search.
Honestly, outside of the saga of trying to track down ingredients this was not a difficult recipe to make. Earlier this afternoon I made the rose syrup using this recipe. It was quite easy and made a ton of syrup. I poured some into one of my spare sauce jars and I think I will take it to my local coffee shop and see if they would like it. They will probably use it faster than I will.
In the past I have had a little trouble with diva eggs not wanting to whip. However, with my new mixer they whipped up just fine! There were quite a few steps: run the almond flour and powdered sugar through a sieve, add the rose syrup to the milk, whip the egg whites and put them in a separate bowl, beat the butter and almond mixture, add the egg yolks, add the milk and extract (grenadine in my case), fold in eggs and flour, put 1/3 of the batter in the prepared pan, put in 3 rows of raspberries, put in 1/3 of the batter, put in 3 rows of berries, put in rest of batter, and finally bake.
I checked on my cake after an hour and it was not cooked all the way through so I upped the temp to 325 and baked for about another 15 minutes. When I checked the second time it was finally cooked all the way through. I let it cool the recommended minutes and then inverted it onto the cooling rack. You were supposed to let it cool completely but I was too impatient after waiting all day to make the cake. Both kiddos tried this and loved it. I thought the rose taste was very mild and the crust was kind of angel foodish. I am sure if I had the actual rose extract the flavor would be slightly stronger. The texture was tender with a nice tight crumb. I have plenty of rose syrup so it is very likely I will be making this again in the near future. It really will be worth it. :) My sweet hubs asked where I got the roses. I told him Kroger; I needed them for a prop!
Don't forget to check out the LYL to see how other bakers around the world did with this recipe! A couple of people said it needed a sauce of some kind. We just did ice cream...not even homemade *gasp*! :)