Friday, March 22, 2013

{FFWD} Ispahan Loaf Cake

 Welcome back to another edition of French Fridays with Dorie where bakers around the world try out a new recipe and post about it. This week's recipe was Ispahan Loaf Cake. I do not know how to pronounce it but that is ok because I enjoyed eating it. I actually looked at this recipe several weeks ago, popped on Amazon to order rose syrup, added it to my cart, and promptly forgot to order it.

Last Thursday I started looking for rose syrup and rose extract. I live in a fairly diverse city so I thought I would have no problem tracking these items down. How wrong I was. Thursday I tried Trader Joes, Hobby Lobby, and a couple of International Markets. I found Rose Water and figured if I couldn't find the syrup I could make it myself. On Wednesday I got really serious about finding the rose extract and starting calling every hobby store, specialty grocery store, and cake decorating shop I could think of. I even went to the local health food store. I thought I was getting close when I called Whole Foods Body but their extract included Jojoba and was not to be taken internally. I called a cafe that was recommended to me who referred me to another international market about 40 minutes from me. It was already closing time though and the gentleman that answered the phone was very vague on whether they had the extract or not. He listed several that they did have but rose was not included in the list. At that point I was ready to give up the search.
Fast forward once more to today (Thursday). I have Grenadine in my pantry so I decided I would sub that for the rose extract. One friend on Facebook said that was a good substitution so I went with it.

Honestly, outside of the saga of trying to track down ingredients this was not a difficult recipe to make. Earlier this afternoon I made the rose syrup using this recipe. It was quite easy and made a ton of syrup. I poured some into one of my spare sauce jars and I think I will take it to my local coffee shop and see if they would like it. They will probably use it faster than I will.

In the past I have had a little trouble with diva eggs not wanting to whip. However, with my new mixer they whipped up just fine! There were quite a few steps: run the almond flour and powdered sugar through a sieve, add the rose syrup to the milk, whip the egg whites and put them in a separate bowl, beat the butter and almond mixture, add the egg yolks, add the milk and extract (grenadine in my case), fold in eggs and flour, put 1/3 of the batter in the prepared pan, put in 3 rows of raspberries, put in 1/3 of the batter, put in 3 rows of berries, put in rest of batter, and finally bake.

I checked on my cake after an hour and it was not cooked all the way through so I upped the temp to 325 and baked for about another 15 minutes. When I checked the second time it was finally cooked all the way through. I let it cool the recommended minutes and then inverted it onto the cooling rack. You were supposed to let it cool completely but I was too impatient after waiting all day to make the cake. Both kiddos tried this and loved it. I thought the rose taste was very mild and the crust was kind of angel foodish. I am sure if I had the actual rose extract the flavor would be slightly stronger. The texture was tender with a nice tight crumb. I have plenty of rose syrup so it is very likely I will be making this again in the near future. It really will be worth it. :) My sweet hubs asked where I got the roses. I told him Kroger; I needed them for a prop!

Don't forget to check out the LYL to see how other bakers around the world did with this recipe! A couple of people said it needed a sauce of some kind. We just did ice cream...not even homemade *gasp*! :)

Next week: Lemon Steamed Spinach

13 comments:

Liz Berg said...

BEautifully done, Karen! There was a nice rose flavor, but not overwhelming. If the picky hubby didn't complain, it wasn't a pronounced rose flavor :)

Susan said...

We thought this would be good with ice cream, too. Very nicely done! I think your substitutions were just fine. The rose flavor was very subtle - and I have yet to see a pink cake! LOL!

BTW, I looked at your photography blog - your photos are just stunning! Have a lovely weekend!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Beautiful outcome for all of that hard work! :)

Diane Balch said...

i have to say my favorite part was your husband asking about the roses... very funny.

yummychunklet said...

I love the final photo! Your cake looks so delicious!

lynnlly.com said...

Your cake turns out well!!! Looks good!Enjoyed your post. =)

sanyaliving.com said...

Your cake turned out fantastic!
I'm impressed with the effort you put into tracking down the syrup! I gave up pretty easy, I went to the two stores I know of that stock unusual ingredients and the closest thing they had was a good quality rose water. It tasted great in the end!

Sara said...

Wow, that's dedication! It seems like it was totally worth it, so good for you! It's a beautiful cake!

Betsy said...

Your cake looks perfect with the bouquet of roses. Nice job.

Adriana said...

I was afraid of having to do all those phone calls for the rose extract, and ended up making my own syrup with orange blossom flower. It turned out great, but I feel like I'm missing out :)

Rose said...

What lovely props. I rarely need an excuse to buy myself flowers, but somehow last week I just didn't think of it. And your cake looks delicious too.

Cher Rockwell said...

I like your prop :-)
You were very industrious in finding your ingredients. I am impressed with your tenacity.

Mary Hirsch said...

Well, that's quite the saga, Karen. I was tired from all your efforts to find the ingredients which, I agree, was the most difficult part. Luckily I did remember to finally order rose extract because I couldn't find it either. I ordered Rose Syrup - it never arrived - so I did as yu did. Whole Foods. Drinkable rose water. Made my own. I do think, as you said, that our loaves were not pink because we didn't add red food coloring. Yuck. Just love the little raspberry gone astray in your picture second picture. I will credit you for perservering and you ended up with a wonderful treat for your family. Happy, Happy