Friday, March 01, 2013

{FFWD} Chicken Diable

It is Friday and along with it comes a lovely French recipe from Dorie Greenspan's cookbook "Around My French Table". When I read the title of this recipe and realized devil was in it I thought this would be an extremely spicy recipe. However, the recipe calls for dijon mustard, which is not all that spicy. That is good for a girl who suffers from heartburn at the smell of something spicy.

I made this Wednesday night just before I was about to run out and teach a flute lesson. It was really quite easy to put together. After browning the chicken on both sides you were to take them out of the pan and put them in the warm oven under a foil tent. I didn't have time for that though so they ended up on the counter next to me....it was just one extra step and I was in a hurry. I put the garlic and shallot in the pan and immediately burned the shallots. I guess since I used dried instead of chopping my own the shallot just turned dark brown right away. That was OK though because it didn't taste bad.

I know, I know, I have cheapy ingredients pictured but they worked well for what I needed. The sauce came together quickly and instead of pouring the sauce over the chicken I just put the chicken back in the pan and covered it with the sauce that way.

This was a recipe that all of us loved! It was easy and one that my family said they would definitely eat again. I served this with Lemon Steamed Spinach (which will be another post this month). The dinner quote of the night though goes to my son who said "Mommy, why is spinach made out of leaves"? Silly boy! :)

Make sure to take a look at the LYL to see how other cooks around the world did liked this recipe. You can also cook along if you get the cookbook! :) Happy cooking!

12 comments:

pamkaren said...

You know, sometimes you just have to go with the ingredients you have and it looks like your recipe turned out just as fine as others!

Diane said...

The mustard is good quality and that is the most important ingredient... Looks delicious.

Teresa said...

Fancy ingredients are nice for a treat, but the workhorses of the kitchen are affordable, reliable ones. No need to apologize - sounds like your meal turned out well.

Cher Rockwell said...

I keep hearing a lot of good things about that spinach - am looking forward to trying it!

tricia s. said...

Good for you for "keeping it real" on the ingredients you use. To me it is all the more important when a recipe can turn out well on a busy weeknight with ingredient on hand- so thanks for sharing. We very much liked this recipe but my mustard choice was too "diable" for our taste. I adore mustard and my sinuses are still recovering.....:)

Trevor Sis Boom said...

I don't know why you are dissing your ingredients! They look great to me and are perfect for this dish which reads fancy but isn't ... just let everyone think it is. great job!

Betsy said...

This one seems to be a winner across the board. Yours looks great too. I love your son's quote about the spinach leaves. LOL!

Liz Berg said...

Mmmm...your meal looks wonderful! Now why didn't I think about making the spinach, too? Great pairing~

Sara said...

Ah, I bet that spinach went so nicely! Wish I'd done that! I think it's a relief to know that you don't have to spend a lot of money to make a nice, elegant dish like this. As long as it looks and tastes terrific - that's what's important! Nice job with this one!

Kendra Haden said...

Your chicken looks great...I am really looking forward to making the spinach!! Glad you liked it all. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Renee Iseson said...

I am excited to make the spinach. I think it sounds really great! As for cheapy ingredients- not at all! Maille, Lea & Perrins... even in fancy restaurants, they use inexpensive basic ingredients- cream is cream after all! Your dish looks great!

Margaret O said...

Ya know, some ingredients it doesn't matter if cheap or pricey - still taste the same!! Looks really good. We liked it a lot, especially the sauce!!