Thursday, February 14, 2013

{FFWD} Valentine's Day Cookies

French Fridays with Dorie has been going strong for quite some time now. Alice of A Cooking Mizer put together a super secret Valentine exchange for anyone who wanted to participate. Today is our reveal day! The other day I got home to find this great big box on my porch. The anticipation killed me...until I could get it inside and rip it open!

My secret Valentine ended up being:
 You can visit Cher at The not so exciting adventure of a dabbler.  The recipe is underneath the cover page and I will post that at the end. I love that she stuffed the box with pages from a cooking magazine. Of course that did not compare to the delicious Peanut Butter Spritz cookies that were hiding down in the wrapping. These sweet, tender little cookies were made even better by the Hershey chocolate drops that made up the center of the cookie.


I loved the cute little holders the cookies were wrapped in. Once the cookies were taken out of the wrapping they held their own as a go to cookie. Of course now I have my eye on a cookie press so I can make these! Thank you Cher for these delicious cookies and for being my secret valentine! I hope the cookies you got were just as delicious as these!

Don't forget to check the LYL to see who sent cookies to who! :)


Peanut Butter Spritz Cookies
Adapted from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Company
8 Tbs unsalted butter, room temp
1 Cup light brown sugar
1 Cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg, room temp
1 3/4 Cups unbleached all purpose flour
Chocolate kisses or drops

Preheat over to 375 F. While the oven is preheating, place two large baking sheets, lined with parchment or silpat, in the fridge.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, or large bowl if using a hand mixer, cream together butter, peanut butter, sugar, salt, baking soda, and vanilla until mixture is smooth. Scrape down sides of the bowl and beet in the egg in until smooth again. Scrape down the sides and stir in flour until incorporated.

If you are going to make these into spritz style, spoon the dough in the barrel of a press and press onto the prepared baking sheets 1 inch apart. You can also spoon these by the teaspoonful (press tops flat after spooning.

Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes. They should look set and the edges will be slightly brown. Remover from oven- if you are adding chocolate kisses or discs do this immediately after removing from oven. Let cookies sit on baking sheet for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.

12 comments:

acookingmizer said...

what cute shapes! LOVE!!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

How fun! Nothing like a package filled with cookies in the mail to make your day!

Mary Hirsch said...

I read Cher's link before moving on to yours so knew that she sent you this darling and delicious-looking cookies. I didn't know she was such a packaging guru. Stuffing the box with cooking magazine pages is so clever and something I will remember to do next time. My packaging left a lot to be desired. Enjoy your treats and Happy Valentine's Day to you and your family.

Cher Rockwell said...

Glad you enjoyed & that they survived the journey.

I shamefacedly must admit that cooking magazines were the only filler I had in the house - since I don't receive any newspapers... I'm really not that clever :-)

Geraldine Saucier said...

Delicious cookies:) I must dust off my Spritzer. Have a Happy Valentine's Day

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

What a fun package to open! :) Love the sound of these cookies, too - I've bookmarked them to try soon!

Susan said...

I love how excited you were! What a fun package to open.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Maggie said...

Cute! I should use my cookie press more often!

Betsy said...

Yum! These look fantastic! I have to use my usually neglected cookie press and try these out for myself soon. Happy Valentine's Day!

Cakelaw said...

Awww - these cookies are adorable!

jack jason said...

Thanks for sharing with us.

AmyRuth said...

That's just the best! Love the connection shared between bakers. A truly great heartful exchange.
Bonus: yummy
Amy