Friday, February 08, 2013

{FFWD} Fresh Orange Pork Tenderloin

 This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe was Fresh Orange Pork tenderloin. We are big fans of clementines but I don't buy big oranges very often. My family tends to leave them alone. I discovered as I started to make this that I did not have an onion. I used the one I had in a recipe a few days ago. I sent my hubs to our local grocery that we tend to boycott if we can help it. This store often has out of date items on the shelves, carries pig brains but no rice cakes. He didn't mind running down there and even came back with some cheap individual pies for each of us.
 One thing I really liked about this recipe was the smell of the citrus. Often when I cut up garlic or onions I am worried about how to get the smell off my hands. With oranges, even after scrubbing hands, I don't mind the smell. I got to use my zester! I have a microplane grater that I use for garlic a lot but it doesn't zest like my cute little tool up there with the oranges.

As this was cooking my kids were saying that it smelled delicious and I couldn't help but agree.  When I went to Publix to get pork loin they only had 2 and a half pounds. Once again though they split the package for me so I could have just a pound and a half. This made 12 medallions and we ended up with 1 left. Munchkin took the last one and the rest of the broth braised potatoes to school for lunch.

Overall, this was a delicious dish and I will be making it again! Rave reviews from the fam make it a definite win! :) Don't forget to check out the LYL to see how other cooks around the world did with this recipe this week. :)

13 comments:

Kendra Haden said...

Glad you and your family liked it. We liked it...just didn't love it. But we really enjoyed the Celery Root Puree Dorie suggested serving with it.

Diane said...

My family liked my version of the dish. They may have liked the original but I wouldn't have, not a fan of cooked oranges. I never thought of orange pork as being appealing to a family, but I guess it is an appealing flavor to most people. Glad you guys liked it.

Tammy said...

I'm glad you liked this! We did, too, although it wasn't a super "wow, you gotta make this again!" I'm with Diane about the celery root puree!

Sara said...

This was a winner here too, but then, I love anything with oranges. ;) This was definitely a nice weeknight meal, easy to make and quick as well! Yours came out looking so good! Nice job!

Cher Rockwell said...

Glad to hear it was a winner. The zester is a neat little tool and it makes such pretty bits of peel.

Lizzy Do said...

So glad your family enjoyed!!! Love your photos :)

Candy (Dulce) said...

Glad you liked the dish! Yours looks delicious. Hope you have a great weekend!

Betsy said...

I think I might need a new zester. Mine never makes perfect little slivers like yours made, even though my tool looks identical. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this one. We though it was OK, but not enough to make it again.

Mary Hirsch said...

I am channeling your zester. I have seen them before but never used one. My microplane just doesn't work for me. I loved your boycotting the grocery store story. I don't blame you. Stay away from that place if you can. I am glad your family like this recipe so much. It was so-so for me because I overcooked the pork medallions. Yours look delicious.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Great photos of this dish! I liked it well enough but didn't love it. I did love using the pork the next day in a salad though.

tricia s. said...

My guys also loved this meal but I am beginning to think they are just hungry and desperate by the time I get to French Fridays (kidding Dorie :) It was nice to get that citrus taste and aroma - we really needed it this time of year with the one and off snow forecast. And I am with you on Clementines - my guys always want that little crate of 'em :)

Teresa said...

Looks delicious and it's great that everyone loved it. I always like cutting citrus after onions or garlic, especially lemons.

acookingmizer said...

I didnt love this one, but its glad to hear that you did! :) great job!

I have the same zester and I really love mine!