Friday, January 11, 2013

{FFWD} Long and Slow Baked Apples


It has been a little while since I participated in French Fridays with Dorie. I can't remember if there was a recipe that I didn't want to do and then I just kept missing or what. I am behind on Tuesdays with Dorie as well. That group just made Pizza with Onion Confit and Finnish Pulla. I did actually make the Pulla not long after I got the book but never took pictures. Trust me when I tell you the bread is delicious! I saw several people on Facebook post about these apples today. It looked easy and I had an apple and butter on hand so into the kitchen I ventured while taking a break from grading papers. I am not sure if I mentioned in a post or not but our dishwasher is broken. It makes it really tempting to leave the dishes to the next day and unfortunately happens often. It also makes me not want to cook knowing I will have to wash all of the dishes by hand. I know, I know! First world problems!

This recipe called for 4 apples but I just made 1 for me, for lunch of course. I cut the amount of sugar, butter, ginger, and coriander. I actually pulled out my mandolin for slicing the apples and didn't even slice off my finger! I managed to slice open my pinky the other day on the bottom of a bowl....ouch!

The technique used here was layer, brush with butter, sprinkle sugar mixture, repeat. Wrap with plastic wrap then aluminum foil* (borrowed from sweet next door neighbor because I still didn't buy any since Christmas),   place on silicon mat lined tray and bake undisturbed for 2 hours at 300 degrees. I am not sure why you were supposed to wrap with plastic wrap, I am pretty sure I ate the section that melted.....

Overall, this was easy, quick to put together, and tasty! It is definitely a treat I might make again for me and Little Man but I don't think my hubs or my girl would like it...the whole cooked fruit thing. :) Make sure to check out the LYL to see how other cooks around the country liked these. I may be out the rest of the month as next week is chicken liver and the week after is shrimp. I can't stand shrimp but my family loves it so I may make that one. :) It is good to be back!

*Did you know that foil and plastic wrap have tabs on the side of the box to punch in and keep the roll in place? I am far too excited about this piece of information that I picked up on a recipe site last night! Go check your boxes! You will be amazed!

11 comments:

Nana said...

I only made half of the recipe and was sorry. I really
liked the way the apples turned out. Yours looks lovely,
and isn't it amazing how the apples shrunk to make
such a pretty dessert.

Kathy said...

Welcome back! Your apples look absolutely perfect…glad you enjoyed them! I’m thinking of skipping next week, too. Chicken livers just don’t do it for me!

TeaLady said...

Glad to see you back. I wish I had made more than 2 ramekins of apples. Like your little plate.

Maggie said...

Welcome back! I loved both the BWJ recipes for last month and this month so I would recommend doing them at some point but I did skip some of the FFWD ones that didn't appeal to me (olives, celery root puree, cauliflower soup) so don't feel bad! These apples were an easy and delicious recipe to come back to. Your dish looks delish!

Cher Rockwell said...

Great to see you back!

You are right - that pulla was divine. Yum.

Those apples ;ook great.

Bev said...

Glad you have returned- I was on "hiatus" for awhile also! This recipe apparently had 2 printed versions- my AMFT instructed to cover the ramekins with parchment rounds, then foil & bake at 200* for 4 hours!

Mary Hirsch said...

Welcome back and I hope you will try the next two recipes. It's all for fun and the experience of trying something different. This chicken liver thing intriques me and I am going to give it a go. Yes, I did know about the magic on the side of foil and saran wrap boxes. Unfortunately, the first time, I tore the damn box opening it and the amazing side deals didn't work! Very nice job on the apples. Really.

Teresa said...

Nice to see you back! I skipped the plastic and was glad that I did. The Finnish Pulla is my favourite recipe from TwD so far - I made it again on Christmas Day.

acookingmizer said...

LOL, that IS amazing!!! :) How great to see you posting again!

Betsy said...

Nice to see you back. Your pictures are great! I enjoyed this one. Easy, wasn't it? What more can one ask?

Renee Iseson said...

I think its great you made one apple for lunch! How perfect! My book is an updated version so I was lucky that I didn't have to deal with the plastic but thanks for the tip about the box!