Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Birds

When I was about 8 or 9 I saw the Alford Hitchcock movie "The Birds". We lived in a split level home at the time that had a chimney. My sister and I used to dance on the hearth. We were adorable, I know. :) Once I saw the movie though that fireplace freaked me out. Of course this was around the time Gremlins came out and that freaked me out too. To this day every time I see giant flocks of birds there is a slight irrational fear that I am going to get my eyes pecked out...or at least get pooped on.
The area we live in has a couple of Bald Eagles that roost in the trees during the fall. To catch a glimpse of them is a special treat and I have only gotten one glimpse so far of these reclusive birds of prey. One day I was driving home from dropping my daughter off at school and saw one of the eagles soaring over the lake near my house, and of course I did not have my camera with me. This spurred me on to go eagle hunting...with my camera of course!
I spent several hours driving around my neighborhood trying to find the eagles. Instead of finding Eagles I found seagulls, ducks, American Coots, and this awesome black and white crested duck. I think he thought he was Elvis, with attitude. ;)
The day was bitterly cold and I could only be out of the car for a few minutes at a time. Even with that inconvenience it was fun to go on a little photo safari. Next time maybe I will catch a glimpse of the elusive eagles!

No comments: