Friday, November 09, 2012

Jicama Fries

The other day I was home and I was craving something salty. You know how that is, right? But we had no chips, no popcorn, no chocolate that I could sprinkle salt on. I really wanted fries. My family has not had McDonalds since last December thanks to a family New Year's resolution. The other day I walked by someone carrying a large order of McD's fries and didn't even cave. However, this day I wanted something like that. The only thing I could find in my house that I thought would work was jicama. I have eaten jicama at restaurants or on salad bars but I don't think I have even seen it at the store. My mom and dad were here a couple of weeks ago and they brought a jicama from Colorado with them. So, I turned to my trusty friend google and found this recipe. After peeling off the skin with the worst potato peeler ever I cut it into strips. Munchkin came and tasted the raw jicama and said she thought it tasted like sweeter raw potatoes. I think I may have used a bit too much olive oil..I didn't measure since I was trying to be a chef but I did add a good amount of salt for my taste. That is my daughter's hand up there with all of the salt.

I baked these at 400 for about 25 minutes, flipped them and baked for another 20 minutes. I was surprised to find that I liked my little jicama fries quite a bit. Call me crazy but I topped them off with Malt Vinegar. mmmm. It was just the right touch for me! Apparently these are good for those of you on Paleo diets too. :)

No comments: