Color Run Nashville 2012

Once upon a time and long ago I was a runner...not really. I have never really been a runner. I did train for the Los Angeles Marathon and even got up to the point where I could run 8 miles. However, I went home for Christmas break, it was cold, no one would run with me and I got off track. I sold my ticket to a friend who ran the marathon in my place. (She don't tell anyone! I think that it is now against the rules to do that...it was at least 16 years ago anyway...)

Fast forward to about 7 years ago. Bobby and I walked a 5K for the Baptist Children's Home. It was fun. Munchkin ran with us and Little Man rode in the stroller. Aside from walking my neighborhood with my friend Sharon I have not been a runner since then. 
 
Several months ago at a Spam and Anchovies gathering (it may have been Greek night) Vanessa mentioned she was going to sign up for the Color Run.She told us you get covered in colors and that it is a lot of fun. I started to think about it, Beth started to think about it. Another sweet lady named LaRae started to think about it. If you run with a team your fee is smaller so Beth and I signed up with LaRae and Devoted Fitness.

Honestly, I don't think we really knew what to expect. I woke up with a massive headache which, I am sure, stemmed from the anxiety of the unknown. Was I going to be able to keep up? Where was I supposed to go? Would I hurt my leg again? All of those question were for naught. Beth met me at a grocery store parking lot and we rode together down to LP field and found a parking spot. It was early and chilly but we were glad to get there when we did. After a substantial wait in line for a port a potty we discovered no toilet paper. Someone told us just then that there was a bank of about 50 toilets somewhere else and we made our way over to those picking up free 5 hour energy along the way. These potties were clean and we were happy.

Not too long after we got to LP field, there was an accident to go along with the construction on the interstate which held up traffic for quite awhile. Beth had picked up Vanessa's packet so we kept in contact with her so we could meet up. In the meantime we took a bunch of fun pictures while we were still nice and clean. It just so happened that Vanessa was driving by as we got back to my car to drop off a couple of things so we threw ourselves on her car and scared her half to death! We thought we were pretty funny! :)

As race time loomed nearer we still hadn't found LaRae so we made out way to the back of the pack of 15,000 runners and climbed a hill to see if we could see her. Once we found her we also found Elvis! Did you know he is a Color Runner too?

The race started at 9 but we left the start line closer to 10. They let about 1000 people go at a time and we were in the 9th wave I think. Bobby and our kiddos came down to take pictures so it was quite a wait for them to see us. Vanessa and I ended up running about half the race and walking the rest. Beth walked with LaRae and the rest of the group from Devoted Fitness. We actually waited for a few minutes after the last color station so we could all go to the finish together. Bobby, Munckin and Little Man were waiting at the first color station. It was yellow and apparently they ran out really early so they were scooping it off the ground to throw at us. Munchkin saw what was going on and said she absolutely wants to run the next Color Run. Little Man took one look and said uh uh. He wants no part in the craziness of the Color Run. Those responses are exactly what I would expect from my kiddos! :)

After taking pictures of us at the yellow color station, Bobby and the kids took off to meet us at the finish. We made sure to pretend we were running at that point so we could get more fun pictures. After kisses and hugs they headed for home while Vanessa, Beth, and I headed in to the post race party. Tons more color was thrown, we got more pictures taken and then decided it was time to head out. Since none of us wanted to sit in traffic we decided to go to Shoney's for lunch. I think Bobby and I have eaten there once in the entire time we have lived here. We were glad to see we weren't the only Color Runners there as puffs of colored dust came off of us as we moved.

A few things I learned for next time:
1) Don't wear the fanny pack...it looks dumb (although I did carry all of our post race dust in it...
2) Wear extra fun costumes...our crazy socks were fun but we can be crazier
3) Don't worry..so there will be no headaches
4)  Bring a bandana for going through the dust stations...breathing colored cornstarch can't be good for you
5) Pay the $5 ahead of time (I did) for post race pics
6) Remember to have fun

If you have ever wanted to run a 5K this is a great starter one to run. It is not about the fastest time, or being completely in shape...obviously I have some work to do there...but it is about having fun. It's not called the Happiest 5K on the Planet for nothing! :) I am sure this is a run I will do again.

Comments