{TWD:BWJ} Catching Up

Once again I am behind in posting. I got a gym membership and my laptop broke. Being the social person I am I don't want to hang out in the room with our computer by myself. I would rather hang out with my kiddos and hubs. Hence the lack in posting lately. Anyway, this week's recipe (on time) for Baking with Julia was Popovers. I make Pop up Pancakes on a fairly regular basis so these were a breeze to whip up. They did take quite a bit longer to bake though as you are drying out the center. My family loved these even though all of the popovers had craters in the middle. That made them perfect for filling with blueberries! For the recipe you can pop over (see what I did there?) to Vintage Kitchen Notes with Paula or Bake with Amy. Both of their batches of popovers turned out beautifully. Clearly my custard cups were too big. :)
 The last recipe I missed was Mixed Berry Galette. I think I missed this in the first book as well. But I finally made it. I may have mentioned once or 600 times that my hubs and my girl do not like cooked fruit. At this point I think it is just words. Both of them loved this delicious tender treat. The recipe did say to use only a few strawberries as they are typically too watery. However, I didn't read that part before going to the store...you think I would learn. So this is blueberry and strawberry galette. :) This week was hosted by Lisa of Tomato Thymes (whose post was pinned on Pinterest) and  Andrea of the Kitchen Lioness who has fantastically gorgeous photos on her site and a lovely 100th birthday tribute to Julia Child.


 The recipe that I missed before that was Nectarine and Blueberry Pie...which I still haven't made. I bought nectarines and my daughter ate them all. What can I say? She likes fruit...raw fruit...perhaps it was a conspiracy so I didn't cook the fruit.... It will get made eventually. However, you can still see lovely photos and get the recipe by visiting Hilary at Machengo's Kitchen (who really made a summer fruit pie or Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake.

Last (or first, I guess it depends on how you look at it) but definitely not least was Semolina Bread. I miscalculated my rise cycles and ended up having to instruct my sweet hubs on baking this while I went to teach a class.  It was a little flat and a little crunchy on the sides but dense and chewy on the inside (not my hubs fault). It was pretty tasty but the kids thought it was a little salty. Hm..I may have to try this one again. Anyway, the hostesses with the mostesses were Anna of Keep it Luce and Renee of The Way to My Family's Heart. Both are lovely blogs and their bread turned out fluffier than mine.

Onto another week and more baking! Make sure to check out the LYL to see how other bakers around the world enjoyed this week's popovers!

Comments

  1. I make puff pancakes quite often too!! They are a favorite in our house…these are so similar! Both your popovers and your tart look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice catch-up, your recipes look good! I made a strawberry galette also because I never read the directions...jaja
    The popovers look really good filled with fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are playing catch up! All of your recipes looks good. I loved making all of them. I didn't have good luck with the seminola bread. I love popovers and will make them again. I am going to try them with sweets also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great catch-up post! Nice that these popovers were so easy. I never realized popovers were so easy, and good. Love TWD. Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to the whipped cream and berries! Loved these airy delights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great job catching up! And I totally agree that the kids and hubby are definitely more important than baking!! I love the blueberries in the crevices of the popover. Everything looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew - that was quite the catch up. I don't like being cut off from the world either :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice catch up! We still haven't made the semolina bread - it will have to be in a month when the girls aren't very busy! (i.e., next summer). Love that you filled the popovers with berries and fruit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment