Tuesday, February 07, 2012

{TWD:BWJ}: White Loaves

Welcome back to Tuesdays with Dorie. You may remember we finished up Baking from My Home to Yours in December with some sadness mixed with joy. Well, today starts a new baking adventure. Many of the same lovely baking ladies and gentelmen have joined in and a whole lot more have joined. There are over 300 blogs represented from all over the world!

The book we are going to work through is called Baking with Julia. Dorie Greenspan published this delectable cookbook in 1996. You may even have it on your shelf. If that is the case come become a master baker along with the rest of the crowd at Tuesdays with Dorie.

The very first recipe chosen from Baking with Julia by our hosts, (and fearless leaders) Laurie from Slush and Jules from Someone in the Kitchen, is White Loaves. Jules has the recipe on her blog if you would like to check it out.

There have been some techniques that I have been a little intimidated by over the last few years but yeast has never been one of them. I suppose it is because my mom always made cornmeal crescent rolls when I was growing up and she never seemed intimidated by the yeast in them. In fact she was very matter of fact about the process when she showed me how to make them. Thanks mom for being a great example in harnessing the power of the yeast! ;) I used my hand mixer to get my dough going but kneaded mostly by hand. Since I have a tendency to kill appliances by overworking them I thought it would behoove me not to kill this one.
After the second rise my 2 loaves were not quite equal but I figured that would happen. One of my pans is bigger than the other so of course that loaf was slightly flatter. The short loaf though, held a delicious surprise. Instead of just rolling up the dough I added some butter and cinnamon swirl (many others did this as well) to make a delicious cinnamon bread.
This bread was a snap to make. There were 2 rise cycles but I had this baked before lunch..which in the book it actually says "You can have this made before lunch". :) There was plenty of time for the bread to cool before my kids got home from school . When they did get home though half of the first loaf was devoured in minutes for snack. I even had an extra little boy who tends to be slightly picky eat two pieces!
The second loaf was cut the next morning for breakfast. We had cinnamon toast and it was agreed that I should definitely make this again! I do think the one thing I will do is get some bread flour specifically for this recipe but I will be making it again.
If you would like to see how over 300 bakers from around the world have done with this recipe check out the LYL (Leave your Link). If you would like to bake along pick up your copy of Baking with Julia today!

20 comments:

kimberleyblue said...

Yours look amazing! I love the cinnamon swirl, looks so tempting, I'm sure I would've eaten that whole loaf within one evening.

Jennifurla said...

SUper impressed it came out great.

Elaine said...

That's a huge endorsement from a picky eater! Your loaves look great and I bet the cinnamon toast was especially delicious.

slush said...

Cinnamon toast is my favorite! Love the photo of the sliced bread too. :)

Leslie said...

I keep reading about everyone doing a cinnamon swirl and it has me wishing I wasn't feeling so lazy when I made this! I'm glad that it was such a hit at your house and that we're all back together baking again.

Christy said...

Wish I had done the cinnamon swirl. Your loaves look delectable!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your loaves are beautiful! I suspect you'll be using that bread flour for many recipes before BwJ is done!

Cher Rockwell said...

Love the picture with the neat even slices. These were a big hit in our house too!

Flourchild said...

SO nice to be back baking with you again! Your bread looks very yummy! I was bummed mine didn't rise but you know what that's life and I will do better next time!

Karen/Shortbread said...

Awesome-looking bread! Now I might have to make it again with a swirl!!

Cakelaw said...

I adore the cinnamon swirl loaf - makes me wish I had made one like that!

Susan said...

Thanks for the welcome, Karen! I'm so excited to be part of the group at last. I wanted to make a cinnamon loaf, too - and definitely will next time. You loaves turned out perfectly!

pinkstripes said...

Your cinnamon swirl looks fantastic! I'm glad to be back baking with you. :)

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Your bread looks just perfect! Love the swirl and that photo of the perfectly slices pieces, I can never get mine so even :) Glad to be baking with you again, have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

As a matter of fact, gamers playing bowling games actually have to go as far as to run and go into a bowling stance before the release as a method of providing a more realistic experience. Where do you and your grass live? You can use almost all root vegetables so do not be afraid to choose what is available or what you prefer. [URL=http://lopolikumibo.com ]colophon[/URL] She is a clairvoyant and spiritualist by the name of Lee Ester Alita Lee. Buying the right cut of beef for your recipe can be sometimes confusing.

Pamela said...

It's good to be back, isn't it? The bread looks lovely, and the cinnamon swirl...Yum!!

Jaime said...

well done! love the last pic

Michele said...

Your bread looks perfect. I love your blog!

Teresa said...

Beautiful bread! I'm glad to be joining in for the second round of TwD (I guess FFwD gave me a taste for it!).

TeaLady said...

Beautiful loaves of bread. They came out perfectly.