Monday, September 12, 2011

{TWD} Classic Brownies and Retroactive Recipes

 Here it is Tuesday and miracle of miracles I am actually posting! I have been baking but if you have been keeping up with my Disney posts I am obviously a slacker of a blogger. A big thank you to Anne of Anne Strawberry for choosing Classic Brownies, Gaye from Laws of the Kitchen for choosing Tropical Crumble,  Margie from Tea and Scones for choosing Golden Brioche Loaves, and Jessica of My Baking Heart for choosing Chocolate Spice Quickies.
First of all the brownies. You just have to love Dorie's recipes. These were very straight forward. They took one bowl and I was able to adapt them to my own taste. I do not like nuts in brownies. I think they are an abomination! So there. I was also out of vanilla. My sweet husband and kiddos baked me a cake and I knew I was low on vanilla but forgot until I was already melting the chocolate for the brownies. A quick search for a vanilla substitute led me to add some almond extract. It was a very different taste but it was really good. I know it looks like there are nuts in these but looks are deceiving.... those are peanut butter chips. My kids ate four while they were still warm and I sent some with my husband this morning. He said he really liked the almond flavor in them. So yay! Win! I will definitely make these again and will probably double the recipe the next time. 


The tropical crumble was a delicious recipe. What isn't with that much butter in it? I was planning on trying to pawn this off on the teachers so I lined a muffin tin. stuffed from phyllo dough in the liners and spooned the mango/lime mixture into each one. I topped them with the crumble and popped them in the oven. 


I knew my husband would not have anything to do with a tropical crumble. First of all it has mango and second you cook the fruit. So, I gave them to my kids and their friends that came home from school with them. My daughter kind of liked this, the other little girl really liked it. My son was not a fan and the other little boy seemed to be scared of it. When their mom got to my house I gave a tropical crumble cupcake thing to her. She loved it and said it was so gourmet! She caters so I thought that was fun to hear from her!

 This tropical crumble doesn't look that great but it was really tasty. 

 I actually made these Golden Brioche Loaves the same day as the crumble. I was hoping my hubs would eat them up but he has started a health challenge at work so he didn't eat as much of them as I thought he would. We all really liked these loaves a lot. I am glad I looked ahead because they took a long time to make. They were worth it though.

 Last but definitely not least were the Chocolate Spice Quickies. Outside of the resting time in the fridge they were certainly quick. I made a double batch as I planned on taking them to my students. My sweet son said the dough looked like poo. I did not share that with my students. :) One student said these tasty little cookies tasted like Christmas and I have to agree. One suggestion was to serve them with raspberry jam. I didn't but it did make a fun picture. :)
 I am really hoping to get back in the swing of things. If you haven't already you should check out Dorie's Baking From My Home to Yours. It is a fantastic cookbook with delicious recipes!

16 comments:

Flourchild said...

The brownies look great and so do all the other goodies! I loved these brownies and I will double the recipe next time!

Cindy said...

So many yummy treats on one post! Welcome back.

Cakelaw said...

I love your omnibus post - so much fun. And welcome back to TWD!

Nicola said...

I love this brownie recipe - but then, I love all Dorie's brownie recipes! Peanut butter chips would be amazing. Everything else looks delicious too!

Clivia said...

Great recipes! I love your variation on the crumble. Adding the phyllo is a great idea.

Anne said...

Wow how fun to see all these great TWD recipes you made, way to go!

Pamela said...

Nice post about all that's been going on in your kitchen. It all looks good to me!

Becky said...

Lots of yummies going on in your kitchen. I loved these brownies.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Wow, Karen! Such a beautiful post - your brownies are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for baking along with me last week, too! :)

Jules Someone said...

Yum and more yum! Those treats look great!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

look at all that great bakign! and now i wish i had a brownie with PB chips...

TeaLady said...

Everything looks perfectly delicious. Thanks for making the Brioche with me!!!

A.L. Roth said...

Oh my goodness Karen, I am gonna move in with you! You are killing me with these amazing treats.... I want I want I want.

Your neighbor, Amy

Eddel29 said...

Great! this is perfectly baked. .wanted to eat as good as this one.

Charenn29 said...

great post, I really like it. Thanks for posting. :)

Charley said...

looks so yummy and perfectly baked. drooling here.