Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm Thir-ee seven! I'm Thir-ee Seven! I'm No' Old!

So, I did turn thirty seven a week or so ago but my name is not Dennis and I am a woman. :) Those of you that get all that can be my friend.

Thirty seven...I guess that is on the downhill slide to 40. My mom likes to call and tease me about it but then she is 22 years older than me... She asks me sometimes how old I feel because she still feels much younger in her head than she is in the mirror. I do feel younger than thirty seven.

You'd think by now I would have some things figured out..like what I want to be when I grow up, how to get in shape, how to get my kids to mind all the time and how to keep my house clean. But I don't. I would like to have a bakery or be a photographer but I struggle with the time away from my family. I would love to get in shape but I would like to have a bakery. ;) And I just try to pray and ask advice from others that have gone before me in the trenches of motherhood. As far as keeping my house clean...well if I invite people over that motivates me to at lease keep the downstairs in some semblance of order.

As a 37 year old woman I am apparently not supposed to wear cartoon characters like Tinkerbell on my chest or behind. I am supposed to have a perfect house, clean and perfectly behaved children, the laundry done, a career and dinner on the table. I think my musical tastes are supposed to be more refined and after that I have no idea what is really expected of a 37 year old woman.

I have a Tinkerbell shirt and a Micky Mouse shirt, my house is far from perfect, my kids are bathed on a regular basis and while not perfectly behaved are sweet and loving and the good far outweighs the bad. The laundry often has to be rerun because I forget about it (a dash of white vinegar helps the mildew smell go away), I am teaching (which I love) and sometimes have dinner ready. Since our dining room table is usually covered in mail, projects, and other various flotsam we often eat in the living room. I like the cheeseball pop music on the radio. It makes me think of going dancing in my college years.

Anyway. Here I am, 37. I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a teacher, a baker, an aspiring photographer, an organizer, a girl still afraid of what others will think of her, a Christian who know it doesn't matter what others think, and someone with seriously conflicting emotions. :)

Here is to 37!

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog posts. I do miss Tuesdays with Dorie though. :) I love how you describe yourself and all the things you said about yourself are what I LOVE about you. I had my first MOPS mtg today that I am co-coordinating at 1st Baptist. It reminded me of all of us girls in those early years of MOPS - great group! And how our steering team was working so hard to keep our head above water that first year!! I miss seeing you, but and glad to keep up through reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say "but am glad"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an amazing wife, mother, and daughter and I'm so proud of you. Love you, honey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 37 is nothing! And 40 isn't so bad! :) Happy birthday. I'm catching up on your blog. Hope you are doing well. What a great vacation you had too! - mary

    ReplyDelete