Cheeseburger Cake

Last year my mom got me a subscription to Food Network Magazine. It has been a fun mag to have in the house. This month one of the main recipes was a Cheeseburger cake. Munchkin saw it and had to have it for her birthday. Now, I have to admit I have become a bit of a snob when it comes to using box mixes and the recipe called for 2. Instead of following the recipe (which can be found here)


 I made 2 round chocolate cakes from my Hershey cookbook and this strawberry cake. Munchkin requested the top be strawberry and the meat patty and bottom bun be chocolate. The most time consuming part of this cake was the baking of the cakes.
My friend Angela came over and rolled out the fondant for the cheese. The one other change I made was that I got green apple licorice for the lettuce leaves. It was flat rectangles so it alleviated the need for rolling.

 When I got to the point where I was actually decorating the cake it was starting to get kind of late. Ang and I needed to go because we were headed out the door to play bunco. I whipped up some cream cheese frosting and some chocolate frosting. I dipped the beaters in the chocolate and then back into the cream cheese and added some yellow and red food coloring to get the bun color.


 Doesn't the cheese look fantastic! This was Angela's first time working with it and she did a fabulous job!!
 Looking at the photos I know I could have done a bit better on the decorating. However, once the frosting was made it took about 15 minutes to get everything together. I was slapping things together so I could get out the door. My sweet husband even ran back in the house to grab a different shirt for me to wear. As I got in the car I looked down and realized I had frosting and powdered sugar all over me.
 The inside is not terribly realistic but that is ok. The birthday girl loved it and that was what was important.
One little detail...If the top bun wasn't pink it would be more obvious. You might notice in the first photo the cookie cutter in the middle of the batter. The whole point of that was that when we cut into the cake you would be able to see the burger was medium well. :) One of my hubbys brilliant ideas. Loved that idea!! :)
The meat patty was left bigger than the bottom bun on purpose as we all like big burgers!

This was a fun cake to put together and I am looking forward to the next one! :)

Comments

  1. I love it! I'm not the biggest burger fan, but I WOULD eat a cake that looked like a burger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taht is adorable. YOu did a great job. I know I wouldn't do it nearly as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really interesting to prepare this cake, because I had never seen something like that before it would be perfect to prepare it at home to improve my recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment