Saturday, June 04, 2011

Storm Trooper Cake


So, my baby is going to be 7 on Monday. SEVEN!!! I cannot even understand where the time has gone. Several months ago we started thinking about party themes and Star Wars was at the top of the list. Two days ago he said he wanted Power Rangers....um no.

I am trying to decide if throwing him a Star Wars party qualifies me as a geek.....or if some of the preparations make me a geek. Last night I came home after winning some cash at Bunco to Return of the Jedi. Little Man was jumping up and down and was so excited with the battles happening on screen.

For any birthday party I think the cake is a big deal. Little Man and I went online to see what kind of Star Wars cakes we could find. He was very excited about the Storm Trooper cakes. So, I decided to make him a Storm Trooper cake. It was my first experience with carving pieces of the cake.

I made a 9 inch cake, an 8 inch cake, and a cake in the Pampered Chef Classic Batter Bowl. I used a recipe from the Hershey cookbook and made 1 and 1/2 of the recipe. I also made the Hershey chocolate frosting but forgot the vanilla. It tasted fine to me without it though so I think it will be OK. I also made Marshmallow Fondant. I used the same recipe last Halloween for some ghost cupcakes so I knew that would come together easily and would be tasty.

I am not sure if I have mentioned this before or not but I am what you might call a frustrated perfectionist. My husband on the other hand has an incredible eye for detail. I get to the point in a project where I think "eh, that is good enough" but he wants the details to be perfect. More than once this week I have said to him that I appreciate his eye for detail and how hard he works to make things perfect. The detailing on the Storm Trooper Cake is done in Black Sugar Paper from Joann's. He helped me get each of the pieces right and made sure they were in the correct places. He also helped me figure out the nose piece. I could see the cakes and the frosting in my head but I am so thankful for a partner that can help the project come to fruition!!



  
Once we got all of the pieces on we stepped back and were thrilled! For our very first carved/fondant covered cake I think it turned out pretty darn good!

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely outstanding - wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's perfect and I bet little man loves it! Happy birthday my youngest grandchild. Wish we could be there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber6:38 AM

    I love your cake! Im going to try it for my sons 4th birthday this week. How much fondant did you make? I found a marshmellow fondant recipe that makes 1.5 pounds of fondant. Is this enough, or should I double it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amber! It was a hit at my son's party. I think the recipe I made for the fondant made about a pound and a half and it was plenty. :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete