Wednesday, June 22, 2011

NKOTBSB

 In 1988 I was 13 years old, in Jr. High and I was the target audience for New Kids on the Block. My friend Sharolyn mentioned that she slow danced to Please Don't Girl and I am sure that I did as well!



My friend Alli is 5 years younger than me. She and I met in our Newly and Nearly Wed Sunday school class at church and ht it off. We both play flute and we both sang in the choir. Her being 5 years younger is not really significant except that she really enjoyed Back Street Boys more than New Kids and I enjoyed New Kids more than Back Street Boys. BSB debut album came out in 1996...the year before I graduated from college. I was more into No Doubt, Sublime, Something Meaningless Under the Sun, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, etc.... In full disclosure..I thought Nick Carter was Nick Lachay until about halfway through the concert.

The best part of this is that she and I have been friends for around 9 years now. When she called several months ago to see if I wanted to go with her I jumped at the chance. Not just to see the concert but to hang out with my friend as well.

Ashlyne Huff opened the show last night. She was pretty good. It is always hard to be the opening act. The good sound and lights are saved for the band you came to see. Alli posted a status update that Ashlyne forgot her pants. The girl can dance and it was fun to see her in Nashville as she is from here.

The next opener was Jordin Sparks. I really liked seeing her live last night! I loved her on American Idol and I am glad she has done so well. She debuted her new single "I Am Woman" and of course the crowd seemed to love it.
When the lights went out in anticipation of NKOTBSB the crowd went wild! I am not sure I have ever heard that much screaming in one place. New Kids and Backstreet Boys took turns singing their songs. My favorites, of course, were Right Stuff, Please Don't Go Girl, and Hangin' Tough.
 One of the most exciting moments was when Jordan Knight headed into the crowd near us.
 Once the New Kids were back on stage the Back Street Boys came down the same staircases NKOTB had just been on. One lady jumped past security and grabbed one of the guys in a big hug...and wouldn't let go!
 My little sister Ally asked me to get a picture of AJ for her so I was excited when he was this close to where we were sitting and I could get a good photo! :)
 The finale included Hangin' Tough and Backstreets Back in kind of a West Side Story, Jets vs Sharks, faceoff. It was really well done!
This was such a fun night and I am so glad that I go to go with Alli! Now parking was a little crazy, although I think we only sat in the parking garage for about 20 minutes before hitting the street. Not terrible for a sold out show at the Bridgestone Arena! I wonder if my daughter will have fond memories of Justin Beiber when she is in her 30's and go to a reunion tour....hm...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous. This would have been an amazing concert. I didn't love NKOTB as a kid. Very long story. But I loved BSB in my late teens. :)

    ReplyDelete