Harry Potter Dinner

I have been thinking a lot lately about my kiddos and cooking. I don't remember ever cooking when I was a kid. I remember baking cookies with my mom and remembering that she was a really good cook but not the process of actually learning to cook. When I was in college, living with girlfriends in an apartment I pretty much lived on baked potatoes and canned pineapple.

The Thanksgiving before Hubs and I got married we attempted a mini thanksgiving at our little house. The turkey cooked for 6 hours and still wasn't cooked through and my apple pie was heaped so high the crumb topping didn't cook like it was supposed to. We put that turkey in the trash and when we came back from our honeymoon it's carcass had been stripped clean and laid out on the patio by a raccoon. At least someone enjoyed it! After we were married I could make a great box of hamburger helper. We ate a lot of rice and cereal.

My mom and I just talked about this the other day. She said she doesn't think she was a great cook when I was growing up. She made a lot of hamburger helper and convenience foods that we could afford. I remember my sister opening noodles after school and cooking. I had zero desire to do that. I started working at Burger King at 14 so that could have something to do with it.
I have had the privilege of learning to bake over the last couple of years and I am trying to become a more creative cook. I am getting pretty good at following a recipe and can improvise a bit if I need to. I know there are people out there that think you are only a good cook if you can just go in the kitchen and throw stuff together. Personally, I think that is kind of snobby. I feel very accomplished when I can get an entire meal on the table after following a recipe!
I may have mentioned before, Munchkin is quite the little foodie. I had a can of chicken noodle soup as an option for dinner one night. She said it was just so bland so we jazzed it up with a little heavy cream and some spices. Then she was quite happy to eat it.

For Christmas, Uncle Sports Information Director and Aunt Accountant got Munchkin the Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook! I had her choose a main dish and a side dish to help me make a couple of weeks ago. She chose Molly's Meatballs with Onion Sauce and Roasted Red Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic. I threw all of the ingredients into a bowl and had her mix them by hand. At first she was a bit leery. She didn't want to touch the raw meat. However, when I reminded her how much she likes to play in the dirt, and that it would wash off she was happy to stick her hands in the bowl. Munchkin even formed the meatballs. All I had to do was cook them on the stovetop. I could get used to that! :)

We also put together some Butter Beer. We used the recipe over on Prudence Pennywise's site. Out of all the  food in the Harry Potter movies Butter Beer stands out to me but it is not actually a recipe in the book. The kids loved the food but they were not really fans of the Butter Beer. Oh well. At least we tried. I think I will have the kids pick more recipes this summer. Maybe by summers end Munchkin will be able to create an entire meal by herself!

Comments

  1. I'm glad Munchkin is wanting to cook at such an early age. I'm very proud of her and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a Harry Potter Cookbook. The kids would have loved that when they were younger. How Neat.

    My mom wasn't a great cook and I don't remember ever being in the kitchen with her. Now, after 35+ years of marriage I am finally finding time to learn to cook. Isn't it fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment