Tuesday, April 12, 2011

{TWD} Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

mmmmmm strawberries! This is one of those foods, when juicy and ripe, makes me sound like Homer Simpson when he is talking about donuts. I am completely excited to go strawberry picking this summer with my kiddos and try my hand at canning.

 Now you may notice that the title includes rhubarb. Well, several trips to stores to search for rhubarb left me empty handed. So I did what any normal uninsane woman would do and added dark chocolate! I will definitely try this again later this summer when I have access to the rhubarb.

This recipe was pretty easy to put together. It involved a base of crisp, sprinkled chocolate chips, cooking the strawberries into a jam, covering with more crisp and baking for an hour.

My husband has yet to try it. He is not a fan of cooked fruit. My son loved the crisp part but insisted he didn't like the strawberries. My daughter, who is also a cooked fruit hater, loved it! She has eaten more of it than the rest of this. I really thought I would love this with the chocolate and strawberries, etc. I was actually kind of eh about this. Don't get me wrong I like it but I think I will like it more the next time I make it with rhubarb.

Check out Tuesdays with Dorie Leave your Link to see how bakers around the country did with this recipe. Also, thank you to Sarah of Teapots and Cakestands for choosing this weeks recipe. Make sure to check out her blog for the recipe! :)

4 comments:

  1. This is not a combination I would have come up with. :) I think I'll take your advice {eh} and not try this one. Your other recipes are yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, chocolate covered strawberries are good so that was an interesting idea.I thought the crisp part was the best, with the ginger it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would not have thought to sub chocolate-very inventive! I do hope you can find rhubarb sometime and try it like that too. Thanks for baking along with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate in a crisp - I never woulda thunk it, but it does sound good! Maybe your next attempt will be even better. It does look great!

    ReplyDelete