Tuesday, April 26, 2011

{TWD} Cornmeal Shortbread Cookies

 A few weeks ago we took our kiddos to the Scottish festival at the Nashville Library. Munchkin was super excited to participate in a scavenger hunt around the children's department. The prize? A package of Scottish shortbread. She did the scavenger hunt with minimal help from me and my hubs. Little Man helped her though and was rewarded with his very own package of shortbread.

Now, I like shortbread but it is not my very favorite thing in the world (I will always choose chocolate first ;)  ). These though are really tasty! I used a Meyer lemon for the zest which to me tastes a little bit peppery. Maybe my taste buds are off this morning though. The cornmeal definitely gives these otherwise tender shortbread cookies a crunch factor.
These were a snap to put together. My daughter found the dough in the fridge yesterday after school and gave it a few hearty punches. No damage was done though and I was able to bake these after bedtime. This morning I brought them to my students who all said that they were really really good! They were right next to a plate of large, fluffy homemade chocolate chip cookies though so they kind of got the short end of the stick. However, I left the rest at the front desk and they disappeared!

A big thank you to Valerie of Une Gamine dans la Cuisine for choosing this weeks recipe. She is one of my very favorite TWD bakers so make sure to check out her site and give her some comment love! :) Make sure to check out the other bakers as well!

9 comments:

Valerie said...

Thanks for baking along with me this week! Your cookies turned out beautifully...and I don't blame you daughter for sampling the dough (it was delicious!) :D

Tia said...

sooo cute! little square button. love it.
Buttercreambarbie

alvarosa said...

Wow, they reall look perfect!

yummychunklet said...

Your little holes in the cookies look perfect!

Mary said...

I love that your daughter got into the dough...my sons do that weekly...ugh!

Flourchild said...

How yummy! They look great! I passed on this one. I wanted to make them but I have been busy:)

Tracey said...

You live in Nashville? I didn't know that! I went to school there and loved it so much :)

Your cookies look perfect!

Criollobylisa said...

The meyer lemon sounds fabulous. I'm gonna jot that one down next to the recipe!

TeaLady said...

LOVED these cookies because of the extra crunch.

perfect!