FIRE!!

Munchkin has been showing some interest in cooking and asked for a cookbook for Christmas. She actually got two, one from each uncle. She has been looking through them trying to plan some meals. Tonight she chose a meal from the Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook. We made lightly seasoned chicken drumsticks.

The drumsticks needed to be cooked under the broiler for 10 minutes a side. Hubs was in the kitchen with me when I realized I could hardly see him. My glasses weren't fogging up there was smoke coming out of the oven. When I opened the oven there were large flames that went out fairly quickly. Thinking (stupidly) that the oil wouldn't relight I flipped the drumsticks and stuck them back in the oven. I did not realize what a low smoke point olive oil had, but believe me I do now!

The fire was even bigger the second time I opened the oven. I calmly got the baking soda down and poured it on the flames. (Thank goodness they were in the corner and not on the chicken) The flames went out and I just baked the chicken instead of broiling it for the rest of the time.

We opened all of the windows that we could and tried to clear out the smoke. Here it is 4 hours later and my eyes are still itchy.

My kiddos though have listened well to all of the fire safety tips they have been taught. Little Man came and told me I needed to Stop Drop and Roll. Munchkin told me I needed to crawl on the floor to stay beneath the  smoke. If it was a really serious fire we would have gotten out safely.

Now, off to clean up the cookie sheet that is covered in black soot.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad everything turned out okay. Good fire safety lesson for your kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment