Friday, February 25, 2011

{FFWD} Short Ribs is Red Wine and Port

Once upon a time there was a girl who was not a drinker. The girl did not even own a corkscrew because really, there was no reason. She also lived in the south where it was a sin to drink and wine was not even sold in grocery stores.

The girl went on a trip to another state that had wine in grocery stores. She saw a corkscrew on clearance and bought it. She knew that since she had started cooking French food there would come a time when she would have to open a bottle of wine. (The first time she tried to use a corn cob knob and while a good effort was not  successful)

The girl was so excited when the recipe for Short Ribs in Red Wine and Port was chosen because she was finally able to break open the cozy plastic package that held the corkscrew hostage. The bottle of Crane Lake sat innocently enough on the counter but turned out to be a silent foe for the girl.

No matter how she tried all the girl managed to do with the corkscrew was shred the cork. She finally decided that she just needed to push the cork down into the bottle of wine. All was going well until the seal broke and fragrant red wine exploded all over her kitchen. It would not be an exaggeration to say that there was wine everywhere. Even though she knew she had an intensive cleanup job ahead she was proud of herself for successfully opening a bottle of wine...even if the cork went in and even if she did smell like a wino when she went to pick up her kids from school
The girl was also thanking her lucky stars that the port did not have a cork. She had discovered that the recipe she was making took quite a long time to make. However, the results were fantastic. Her children both ate every bite on their plates with a minimum of whining and her husband commented on how delicious the house smelled when he came home from work.

Her husband also really liked the Gremata that adorned the top of the short ribs. It was made out of Clementine zest, garlic and cilantro. It gave the recipe a nice citrus taste. He also commented on how the ribs were so soft but had the nice tasty crust on the outside from the broiler. It made the girl feel good that a recipe of that caliber had been enjoyed by her entire family.

Once she finished wiping her mouth and then washing the wine out of her hair she went to check on how all of her other friends at French Fridays with Dorie had done with the short ribs. She decided that she would make this again sometime in the future and hoped that her friends liked it as much as she did.

26 comments:

lola said...

Funny post! If we were in France we could just ask them to open the wine at the store. I'm very experienced at it and still have trouble sometimes. I also loved the gremolata.

Cher said...

Very cute! I grew up in a household where alcohol was "verboden" - even now, I still feel guilty cooking with it (and still struggle with opening those bottles!)

Lizzy said...

Cute story...and I can totally relate. I finally bought a rabbit bottle opener (a no-brainer device) so I wouldn't have to struggle every time! Glad your family enjoyed :)

yummychunklet said...

What a cute story! Your ribs look really delicious.

Mary said...

Great story. I love imagining you smelling like a wino picking up the kids :).

Ronda Kisner said...

Yes, the rabbit-type opener makes life much easier. (Though I think I still had to have my husband open the wine for my ribs.) They don't sell wine in grocery stores in Minnesota either. I hope your next wine experience goes better!

Elaine said...

What a great story! I still have trouble opening up a bottle of wine and I am really lucky if I don't manage to get bits of cork in it. Your ribs look beautiful and it sounds like your family enjoyed them as much as we did!

Candy Girl said...

Cute post!

Chef Pandita said...

Your book has personality now! Those wine splashes look artsy and whenever you grab it to make this recipe again you will remember this adventure :)

Betsy said...

Your post made me laugh (with you, not at you). I'm another fan of the rabbit-type openers.

sarah said...

I love your presentation. We don't drink in our house, and I remember when I asked my husband to buy a corkscrew. I'm pretty sure he that in his shopping cart! I've worked in a lot of restaurants, so I'm pretty good at opening bottles, but I had never owned a corkscrew!

Sis. Boom. said...

Fun story. As a former waiter I can open a bottle of wine in nothing flat. Its easy but you need someone to show you the tricks. It looks as if you stole my book!

KarenP said...

I loved your post! You know a meal is a winner if the kids eat every bite.

onewetfoot said...

That's a funny story (unless something was permanently stained, that is). I dropped a bottle of wine that I was about to cook with a few months ago. It landed squarely on its bottom and didn't break, so I was quite pleased. Unfortunately, when I took the cork out and released the vacuum, it turned out that the bottle had cracked. The bottom of the bottle came off and wine went everywhere - the counter, the stove, the floor...

Cakelaw said...

LOL - cute post! I am sorry that your wine decided to make a break for it - but your book is now christened, and no-one can say that you don't use it. I loved this dish, although I skipped the gremolata.

Kathy said...

Loved your story…very funny! I have had a few bottles christen my kitchen before. Rabbit opener..the way to go. Your ribs look superb, glad everyone enjoyed them.

The Urban Baker said...

love your story. love, love, love your photo banner and I love this recipe! enjoy!

Nana said...

Your ribs look absolutely wonderful. Sorry to
read about your wine experience, but these
things happen. Tricia and I usually give that
chore to the men folk.

Adriana said...

Aw! Brownie points for getting the wine bottle opened and the successful recipe. Two words for you for the future: screw caps! Thank goodness cooking wine doesn't have to be fancy, just drinkable. Your cookbook and this post will always remind you this special day! Cookbooks without battle wounds (stains, rumpled pages) scare me. That means they were not used to their fullest potential.

stoutkitty said...

I love your post it made me smile! The pictures are beautiful.

Serene said...

What a fun and funny post. Thank you! I just love FFwD because I discover such great bloggers.

lifeisfull said...

Hahaha! I like your post! Your ribs look really good too!

Flourchild said...

I passed on the wine..Im sure it would have been a funny story, like yours, if I even tired! Im glad you enjoyed the ribs! That last picture is my fav. !!

luciacara said...

Gotta love that Crane Lake :)

Your ribs look so good! My husband was crazy about the gremolata, too (I used parsley).

Steph said...

So funny! Glad it all worked out in the end with a delicious dinner.

Allison said...

What a lovely post! I bought a cheap cork screw as well. Didn't have as disastrous consequences, however I did have to wrestle with it a bit.