{FFwD} Chicken B'stilla and Micheal Rostang's Double Chocolate Mousse Cake

So here is it Saturday and I am just getting my recipe posted for French Fridays with Dorie.  I have been a bad blogger. :( I am catching up from last week as well and have included Double Chocolate Mousse Cake.

I actually made this on Wednesday, another snow day. I was really glad that I had all day to make it because it took all day to make it. The first hour was spent cutting onions and garlic, measuring spices and popping the chicken in the fridge with all of the cut and measured ingredients to marinate. Once the marinating was done the next hour was spent simmering so that the chicken was fall off the bone tender.

I should mention at this point that I realized that the chicken thighs I used were boneless...after they were cooked. I am not sure that it mattered. It did make it easier to shred once it was cool enough to handle.

Several other cooks mentioned that they do not like working with phyllo dough but I found it wasn't too difficult for this recipe. I may or may not have had issues with that in the past.
Once the 40 minutes in the oven were up my house smelled delicious and we couldn't wait to dive in. My son took one look and said he didn't like it. My daughter, the foodie in training, was optimistic but then she didn't like it. We told her it tasted like food from Morocco and she said she doesn't ever want to go there.
Hubs really liked it and went back for seconds. He said it tasted complicated...in a good way. :) 
I really liked this as well and thought it was worth the time I spent in the kitchen on it. I may make this again if I need a fancy, impressive recipe. :)

Another recipe I was really looking forward to was this chocolate mousse cake. It was not difficult to put together but it was kind of fussy to make. It required baking and chilling and baking and chilling. It was a pretty short cake and it actually tasted a lot like the fudge pie I make that takes about 15 minutes to put together. Believe me it was really tasty but I am not sure it will go in the repertoire when the easy pie tastes just as good. I am glad I got to try this process though.

Make sure to check out the LYL to see how other cooks around the world did with Chicken B'stilla this week! :)

Comments

  1. Karen, I guess I haven't been to your site in awhile I like all the changes. Great post and very nice pics B:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - it seems that perhaps this is a very adult dish - which means more for you and hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids can be fuss-budgets, can't they? Glad you enjoyed both dishes, though. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son stopped by while I was making this and he wasn't impressed. 'Gross" is what I believe he said and he's 31! I agree with you about the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer the kids didn't like it, after all that work. I was very pleased that both my guys liked it enough to request it again. Pictures are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked the B'stilla! It is really good, isn't it?

    Lovely photos Karen! I especially like the last one of the chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment