The 70's, an MRI and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I think across the United States schools celebrate the 100th day of school with Kindergarten. Munchkin got cool 100 glasses and everything when her school celebrated. A change this year is incorporating a fun dress up day for 1st -4th grade as well. The first graders got to dress up for the 50th day of school in poodle skirts. The second graders dressed up in 60's clothes and my daughter, who is in 3rd grade, got to dress up today in 70's clothes. Oh how I wish I had some plaid pants and a black turtleneck for her to wear. I have a specific photo in mind of myself from around 1978. She has some cute flare jeans and a yellow fitted shirt that make me think 70's every time she wears them.


Not only was it 70's day, it was the day of my leg MRI. My husband said it was going to suck all of my fillings out and my brother in law said I would have to be inside a tube. I do not think I am claustrophobic but I don't really want to have the opportunity to find out if I am or not.  I got to the office right on time (well 2 minutes after because I had to scrape my windows and didn't plan on that little delay this morning) and was taken back as soon as I finished my paperwork.

The first thing I thought when I got back there was that it smelled like chocolate chip cookies...and then thought they must pump the smell in so that it was comforting. I have to admit it made my nerves go away. The tech led me to a little room where I locked my jacket and purse in a locker and then to the room with the MRI machine. After removing my boots that have zippers and exposing my lovely threadbare socks I was given earplugs and told the machine would be really loud. As as side note I now realize why my 1 year old son was terrified of loud sounds for months after having an MRI, even though he was sedated.

I did not really know how long to expect to  be in the machine (and I was only in the tube up to my waist) but I am fairly certain I snorted myself awake at one point.

After the MRI was done I went to the counter to check out and asked the lady that was there if they bake cookies to make it smell comforting and she said "Yes! would you like one?" and took off to go get the cookies. Apparently they are normally out in the waiting room. While I was waiting for her to come back another lady came out and said "Are you waiting for your CD?" I said "No, but can I get one?" She took off and a few minutes later I was walking out the door with a chocolate chip cookie and Diet Dr. Pepper in one hand and my MRI in the other. Now that is what I call customer service. I was in such a good mood when I left I could have skipped to my car....you know provided my leg didn't hurt from whatever damage I have already done to it. ;)

Now the wait for the results. If I was super talented and could read an MRI I would be in good shape. But, for now I just have to wait.

Comments

  1. My surgeon friend is having a MRI done tomorrow on her knee! I'm going to ask her later if it smelled like chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment