Tuesday, November 23, 2010

{TWD} Brioche Snails

Today is Tuesday and another week with Tuesdays with Dorie. Wait...What? eiroD htiw syadseuT htiw keew rehtona dna yadseuT si yadoT.....Rewind! Every once in awhile we have a week where we choose the recipe instead of the one chosen by another fabulous baker. Every time I flip through Baking from My Home to your the Brioche catches my eye. The photo of the Brioche loaves is lovely but the recipe I keep thinking about is the Brioche Snails.
Pastry Cream and Cheddar Cheese
Cinnamon Sugar and Garlic Powder
Chocolate Chips and Bacon
The dough came together pretty easily except that I am apparently the Kavorkian of food processors. My new one has a dough setting on it and I think I managed to ruin it.  There may have been a bit too much dough for the food processor to handle. I had to finish off the dough by hand and I was a little worried that I hadn't mixed it well enough. Since I am so good at reading directions I completely skipped the part where I needed to make pastry cream. I pulled that together Sunday morning and let it cool in the fridge while we were at church.

On Sunday I was not thrilled to finish off the brioche...I was just feeling a little unmotivated. I posted on Facebook that I needed to finish it. A fellow gigwidow from England, Kristie, posted that she loved Brioche with mushrooms and spinach. That go me thinking about how to make my snails savory. I decided to make half with pastry cream, cinnamon sugar and chocolate chips and the other half with cheddar cheese, garlic powder and bacon.

Imagine walking through the doors of Panera bread and lovely smell that wafts toward you. That is what my house smelled like when I opened my oven. I could hardly wait to try them and they were hardly cool when I handed them off to my children. They devoured both the sweet and the savory Brioche snails.
My husband loved them as well even though every time I said the word "brioche" he finished it off "burrito".

This are on my list to make again however, I may need to wait until I have a Kitchenaid before mixing dough like that again. :) Make sure to check out LYL to see what the other TWD bakers chose this week.

12 comments:

Debbie said...

Your pictures made my mouth water!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Mmmmm! I don't think I was baking with TWD when this one came up. They look beautiful!

Anne said...

Oh I can't imagine making this without a sturdy mixer, it made my KitchenAid sweat anyways! This is really one of my favorites though and I'm glad it was a hit at your house. I will have to try a savory version, that sounds fun!

Clivia said...

I know the sweet ones are delicious, but I'd love to try the savoury brioche snails. Beautifully done!

Tia said...

yum! i bet a savory variation would have been amazing!

Jules Someone said...

Serious yum! I haven't tackled brioche yet. Now I may have to.

Flourchild said...

Yum..These look really good! I love the last picture..theylook so homey!! Im glad you all enjoyed the recipe!

Cakelaw said...

Yum - I love all the varaitiosn that you made, especially the cheese and bacon. I will havw to try these.

yummychunklet said...

Impressive variety! That's motivation.

jillbert said...

Love the idea of making savory ones! I've heard so many good things about these, and now I'm even more excited to make them!

Piggy said...

Happy thanksgiving!

I love both the sweet and savory variations that you came up with. So creative!

Pamela said...

I wasn't part of TWD when they made this one. What a great one to rewind for. Both versions look fabulous! Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.