Thanksgiving 2010 Part 1

 We decided not to travel for Thanksgiving this year...well decided and we just didn't have extra to travel so I suppose the decision was made for us. :) At kind of the last minute we invited Andrew and Vanessa over and their sweet little girl. My kids love her so as soon as they arrived they all just wanted to play. We were able to get dinner on pretty quickly though so most of the play time was going to happen after dinner.

I made Pioneer Woman Creamy Mashed Potatoes except that I never peel my potatoes. It is not laziness...it is keep in the nutrients..yea..we will go with that. :) I also added garlic and topped them with cheddar cheese. Next on the menu was Pioneer Woman Green Bean Casserole. I am a pretty die hard off the back of the crispy onion box green bean casserole girl but I thought since I have been trying to make more things from scratch that these would be the way to go and I think I was right. Tasty!

My turkey was the same basic recipe that I have been using for a few years. Cover in butter, cut a few slits in the skin and push butter, fresh garlic and rosemary under the skin. Throw some butter, garlic and rosemary inside and rub butter over the outside. Sprinkle with slat and pepper stick it in an oven bag and bake. There is no basting and no fuss and it is juicy and quite tasty. My hubby said when it came out "I love it when you make it like this!" That made my day! :)

I also made a chocolate chip cheeseball from Taste of Home and Strawberry Pretzel Salad from Paula Dean. The kids LOVED the cheeseball, especially since I served it with Kelloggs Scooby Snack Graham Cracker sticks. My husband surprised me though because he really like the strawberry pretzel salad. I thought he would be iffy on it and I was wrong. So, that recipe will definitely go into the special occasion repertoire.

For bread we had Cornmeal Crescent Rolls. My mom always made these growing up and I love to make them too. A lot of times I see people writing about how scared they are of yeast. I guess seeing her make these all of those years just made it seem natural to make them too. They really don't take that much time. An hour and a half rise cycle before rolling out, buttering, cutting and rolling and then a 40 minute rise cycle before they go in the oven.

Vanessa brought Reba McEntire's Sweet Potatoes and a Mississippi Mud Pie. Both were delicious but I need to get the recipe for the sweet potatoes. I could have eaten the entire pan of those myself!

I made two pies. One was a Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie from Dorie Greenspan's Baking from My Home to Yours and the other was a Johnny Appleseed Pie. It is a basic apple pie recipe that I add chocolate chips to and a crumb topping. Out of everything I was most excited for the apple pie and it had to go back in the oven for almost an extra hour. That was disappointing and I didn't even like it after that. My son and hubs both love it but for some reason it tasted off to me. Oh well.

Everything was delicious, the company excellent and we were all stuffed. Anyway, that is it for the food. Tune in again tomorrow for the entertainment section of Thanksgiving at our house. :)

Comments

  1. I've never heard of a chocolate chip cheese ball! I'll definitely be trying that and the strawberry pretzel salad because I love strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the strawberry pretzel salad needed to have sliced strawberries rather than whole and I just added extra ch. chips instead of nuts to the cheeseball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a fab spread! Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment