Thursday, November 11, 2010

{FFwD} Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux

Have you ever had a day where you had some time to cook but felt kind of lazy. You might have a sick hubby you need to take care of, homework to look over, papers to grade, etc. Well, this chicken is for you. This is Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux from Around my French Table by Dorie Greenspan.

On a completely unrelated note, the other night my daughter had Girls Scouts. I took Not just for Thanksgiving Cranberry Cake as a snack. The topic for the night?...Healthy eating...doh! Anyway, homework for Girl Scouts for my daughter was to help make a grocery list, go to the store with me and help make a healthy meal. I felt like this recipe fit the bill.

Dorie says you do not have to wash the chicken before popping it in the pan but Mr. chicken was still slightly frozen so he had to take a bath. As a little girl I remember my mom making the chicken or turkey do a dance in the sink. I am proud to say that I have passed this on to my daughter. :) She thought it was really funny..until she said. "hm, they had to chop its head off". Yep honey, they did. It didn't make her too squeamish though as she helped stuff rosemary and garlic in the chicken and was happy to sprinkle on the salt and pepper. She was even more pleased that she completed her Girls Scout homework.

The beauty of this chicken was how easy it was. After the few ingredients were added all we had to do was throw it in the oven and wait. After 45 minutes I put in the potatoes and carrots and put it in for anther 45 minutes. Everyone loved it and it was a very satisfying meal. Delicious, easy, satisfying...what's not to love? You should buy the book and make this this weekend!

PS. I made my poor sick hubby hold up one of my photography lights so I could get a halfway decent picture of this tasty chicken. Thanks hubby!!

12 comments:

yummychunklet said...

Your chicken looks great! And, I love how you're passing on one of your own childhood memories to your daughter! How cute! I don't have children, but I have two nieces and can't wait to start sharing my cooking experiences. Hope your husband feels better!

Cher said...

Beautiful color on the chicken.

It's funny what we pick up from our mothers (and family in general). I loved when my ladies help in the kitchen (and now that they are teenagers, there are times when it is very nice indeed...)

Kathy said...

Your chicken looks wonderful and your photos are great. I also loved this recipe. The aroma of this cooking in the oven was incredible. Sounds like your Girl Scout project went well!

Mary said...

My mother always gave the chicken/turkey a bath too, and I do the same.
:)
Your chicken looks great, and I'm glad it fill the bill in so many ways.

Flourchild said...

What a sweet hubby to help you even when he's not feeling well. I sure hope he's better!
I loved this chicken too and yours looks so good! It's a perfect winters dinner!

Jess said...

What a fun Girl Scout project - with delicious-looking results!

Debbie said...

Your chicken looks so good and I'm glad you remembered the chicken dance. It's not the same without it.

gaaarp said...

Your dish looks great (must be the lighting). I hope you boiled the carcass to make soup for your sick hubby after he helped you out with the picture!

Steph said...

Looks quite yummy and what a great experience to share with your daughter!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I can just picture in my head your chicken dancing in the sink. :) Love your tasty birdie!

Cakelaw said...

Your chicken is a burnished beauty - love it. I agree that the ease of this recipe is what makes it special. I washed my chook anyway - old habits die hard.

Lynne said...

Beautifully browned and luscious looking! I'm sure eating the chicken made your husband feel better. It's great to cook with your family and relate childhood memories.