Tuesday, October 26, 2010

{TWD} All American Apple Pie

Between Tuesdays with Dorie and French Fridays with Dorie there have been quite a few apple recipes in the last few week. This weekend we decided to take our kiddos apple picking since perfect fresh apples would have been perfect in these recipes. Unfortunately we had an apple picking fail. Even though the website said we could pick until mid November, they actually were out of pick your own apples 5 weeks ago.  I had already picked up a bunch of apples though so even though we didn't get to pick our own we were still set to bake.

This week's recipe, All American Apple Pie, was chosen by Emily  of Sandmuffin. She is also the wife of a rock star and mommy of 2. :)  Check out her site for the recipe and her fun posts.

I have to admit, I was overconfident going into this pie and then I thought it was going to be an apple pie FAIL, but then it tasted great so it was a Win instead. The crust came together easily but I forgot to put the butter on top of the apples and had to rip the top crust off. It got really dark around the edges but no one at our house minded. My son said "Pie! YES!!" Hubby liked it and Munchkin even took a few bites. She said she liked it but wasn't a huge fan.

Make sure to check out the Leave your Link post to see if other bakers had a won this week!

16 comments:

  1. Your pie looks delicious! I love that red pie dish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot the butter, too. It was already in the oven though, so I just left it out. Your pie looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never eat the edges, so I would have been just fine with it too. It looks delish. Cool pie plate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i managed not to forget the butter this time, but it's something that i often realize i've done when it's too late. looks good to me...i like dark crust!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was supposed to be butter on top of the apples?? I didn't see that!!

    Pie looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for baking along with me this week! Your pie looks delicious, glad it was success! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. I didn't put the butter on the apples, either, but it still tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pie looks wonderful - too bad about the edges of the crust. I've had the same issue myself with this crust recipe - yet it tastes so good! And your pie dish is so perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inm glad you liked the pie, it looks tasty! I love your pie dish! I have been enjoying all these apple recipes, it's definetly that time of year for apples!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The edges of the crust is my favorite part! Glad it turned out well for you. It probably would have been just fine without the butter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pie looks great, even with store-bought apples. ;) I love everything about pies from filling to crust. I'll even eat the crusts that others don't want.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pie looks wonderful Karen. That's a shame about the apple picking - that would have been fun. I agree that this pie was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some of the edges of my crust fell off while baking so who cares about the edges. Nicely done. Love your second photo.
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad this worked for you in the end. You're very thorough to rip the crust off to put the butter in! I know some folks who would love the edges of that pie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great looking wholesome pie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pie! Too bad you missed the apple-picking. Maybe next year. I remember taking our kids when they were little.

    ReplyDelete