Michael O'Brien

It is with a very sad and heavy heart that I write this post tonight. On Sunday I saw a friends post on Facebook that said Mike had been missing from Ft. Bragg CA since last Monday. His car was still in the parking lot of the hotel where he was staying. A plea went out to help find him, a Facebook group was born, and well wishes from many, many people that know Mike were posted.

Last night the news that some of his belongings had been found on a cliff was posted but the search continued. The family sent out a message today expressing gratitude for the support in this time. But, it looks like he accidentally fell from a very scenic, very dangerous area. My heart is breaking for the family right now.

Mike and I are not good friends at this juncture in life. We were Facebook and Myspace friends but we hadn't seen each other in years. My memories of Mike are very fond ones though. I was the new kid in 4th grade and he was nice to me. He had scruffy blonde hair and a sweet outgoing personality. We were friends. I moved away in 10th grade and lost touch with a lot of people back then including him. So, I am grateful that I got to know what he was doing through the crazy technological world we live in.

Is it weird to grieve for someone who is mostly memories to you? Whether it is or not I am still sad for his tragedy and for his family and just pray that God will get them through this time.


November 10, 2010 Update from Mike's family:
Hi Everyone. Many of you have already heard, but the family wants to let everyone know that we recovered Mike very close to where he fell. Based on the investigation and evidence recovered with Mike, the Sheriff believes he fell while taking a shoe off or putting it back on. 

This is a horrible time for all of us who knew and loved my brother. Thank you to everyone in this group for your incredible support, without which we couldn't get through this. 

Keep Mike's smile and laugh in your hearts. We will miss him forever.

Comments

  1. Karen, I'm very sorry to hear this news. It is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tragedy, I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment